1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: My .exe's aren't running. =[

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by JC_1722, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JC_1722

JC_1722 Thread Starter

I have been having major problems with my Windows Vista recently. After what I believe was a virus, my computer has been unable to run .exe programs almost at all. To open windows media player, I have to right-click and choose "Run as administrator." To open Microsoft Word, I have to open an existing document, then press new document. If I try to run something normally, I get an "Open With" window that gives me a limited amount of programs to open, such as Adobe Reader or Internet explorer or Notepad.
    I have been able to get around this most of the time, but a friend just gave me a webcam, and I am completely unable to run the CD program which came with the webcam to set it up. My old tricks (such as the Run as administrator function) are not working, and I really don't want this gift to go to waste. So how will I be able to run .exe files again?

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Hi and welcome!

Try this: EXEFIX

Unzip the fix and extract the .REG file to the desktop. Right click the .REG file and choose Merge. Note: You need to be an Administrator to apply this fix.

Restart your computer.

If the fix opens as a text file then right click it and select Open With > Choose Program Then, select Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

3. JC_1722

JC_1722 Thread Starter

Ohhhhh dang. Thank you so much. Its workin' perfectly now. Much appreciated bud.

4. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

You're welcome :)

You may want to post in our Malware Removal forum if you think you may still have traces of that virus.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice