1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: My first CPU heatsink

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by letchworth, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. letchworth

letchworth Thread Starter

[​IMG][​IMG]
    This is the CPU (AMD XP+2500) that I am wanting to change the heatsink on. I have never done this so thought I'd ask a couple beginner's questions.

Looks to me like the original builder slathered on way too much heatsink grease- which I will remove with rubbing alcohol; however I am presuming that only the section currently covered with grease is the only one that needs the new Arctic Silver 5. Is that correct?

Secondly, the new heatsink (Rosewill RCX-Z100R) came with grease that is 7/8" X 7/8" and looks to be the size of the area currently thermal greased AND the five small rectangular "bars" which in the photo are above the currently greased area and the five small rectangular areas below the area currently greased (That is what prompts my question-- should my final grease area include all ten (10) "bars" and the larger area in the middle-- there is currently no thermal grease on the one I removed for those 10 areas- except the center one as you can see). This also goes for the one "bar" at each end of the currently greased area.

One more beginner's question, if I may-- the four round pads (one at each corner area) I am assuming those are there to add stability-- do I just leave them alone and presume they will not interfere with the installation.

OK- one more- with a socket A- would you recommend removing the mother board to install the heatsink- or do it in place? The old heatsink spring clamp was easily dislodged with a screwdriver- but I'm thinking it might be harder putting the new one on.

Thanks for your patience in reading this long series of questions (Rookie here). I wouldn't attempt this except the heat monitor was saying this was heating up to almost 60 degrees C.
    letchworth

2. chrome57

chrome57

Hi the Arctic silver is great but needs to be applied just to the flat smooth CPU face not the whole lot,just a thin smear. It is a thermal interface not an insulator.
    Athlon CPUs do run hot, but that is not generally a problem.
    Yes the pads are for support of the heatsink.
    Yes sometimes the heatsink/power supply gets in the way so it can be easier to take the motherboard out.

3. letchworth

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I think you addressed it- but when you say, "the Arctic silver is great but needs to be applied just to the flat smooth CPU face not the whole lot"- are you saying that only put the Arctic Silver in the larger center area and not the little surrounding areas I referred to as 4 + 4+ 2 "rectangular areas" surrounding the larger center rectangle?

Thank you
    letchworth

4. chrome57

chrome57

Yes just to the raised area, about 1cm x1.5cm by memory,not on the surrounding power supply capacitors. A small amount spread with a credit card or flat plastic spreader, as thin as possible or it can have the opposite effect to transferring heat. If you plan to overclock the Athlon heat is what you get used to. My Barton core 2500 used to do 80 degrees some times. Good luck and get some good RAM,
    hint play with the FSB in little steps.

5. letchworth

Installed the Arctic Silver 5 and new cooler (Roswill for slot A)-- brought the temp down to about 43 degrees C. (That's at least 12 degrees cooler). Hoping that improves after fully burned in.

It's not as cool as my AMD Athlon dual core +4400 but quite a bit of improvemnet

Thanks to all for your help and advice
    letchworth

6. chrome57

chrome57

Yes that is about right. 24 hrs run up will see 5-10 degrees drop,I would think.
    The 4400 is cooler yes. My 4400 ran at 2.9 gig at only 34 degrees,but I have good cooling.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!