1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] my Internet Explorer "Internet Options" is now RESTRICTED!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sb199, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sb199

sb199 Thread Starter

I just noticed [when today I wanted to change my Internet Explorer Home Page] by going to TOOLS-INTERNET OPTIONS [in IE 6] that I now get a WINDOWS DIALOGUE BOX-RESTRICTIONS. "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."

So NOW I apparently cannot open my INTERNET OPTIONS!

I am the ONLY person using this PC. It has 2 accounts when I start it up. My account-as the ADMINISTRATOR-with my WINDOWS PASSWORD that I use everyday to start windows, and a GUEST account without a password.

I have Windows XP PRO which was originally installed on my DELL PC. I regularly update + install ALL MS WINDOWS and IE UPDATES...as I am notified whenever I start up my PC each day.

I use NORTON ANTI-VIRUS once a week, updating + scanning. My PC is part of a WIRED home network, behind a D-LINK ROUTER. I also have NORTON INTERNET SECURITY as my software firewall...but I am not positive that it is set up most effectively. I have used GIBSONS [www.grc.com] SHIELDS UP program to see if I APPEAR vulnerable on the WEB and it says I am STEALTHY.

So I WONDER how to correct my problem, ie. how to be able to get into IE's INTERNET OPTIONS and I WONDER if and HOW my PC may have been compromised [as in a security issue].

Anyone's help would greatly be appreciated.

2. Topkat

Topkat

Have you got Spybot Search & Destroy? If you do then there is an option in the immunize feature to lock internet options. Uncheck this option if that's the case in order to access it again.

3. sb199

sb199 Thread Starter

TOPKAT:

Thank you for your suggestion. Yes, I do have + use SPYBOT Search + Destroy + YES, I had checked the optional boxes that LOCK my IE OPTIONS. I guess I just plain forgot about doing that!

Again, many thanks.

sb199

4. Topkat

Topkat

No problem sb199!
    (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170464

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice