1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: My Internet keeps on dropping

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gripman67, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gripman67

gripman67 Thread Starter

Hi, I've been having this problem on my desktop and it's really annoying when i try to play online games that need a constant connection.
    I have Windows XP and i'm using a wireless connection via a wireless USB adapter. The problem is that the internet is running fine but at random intervals it starts to not send or receive any packets. This will usually cause my to disconnecting during a game causing other players inconvenience. After I d/c the internet will usually take 5-30 seconds to start sending and receiving packets again and regain connection.
    Can anyone please help me with this, i'm not a computer wizz and sorry if this problem may be easy to solve. I usually have to google or write in forums. Thanks in advance

2. Gouthaman

Gouthaman

Stuff like this happens when you are Wi-Fi (Wireless) due to conflicts with other electronic devices like corless phones and the like. Try connecting to the internet via Ethernet and see if the problem persists.

3. gripman67

gripman67 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure that its just something wrong with my computer because every other laptop in the house doesn't have this problem.

4. Gouthaman

Gouthaman

But, does this problem occur when you are connected to the internet via an Ethernet cable.

5. gripman67

gripman67 Thread Starter

No, it doesn't disconnect when using an Ethernet cable, but the problem is that my desktop isn't located where my router is. The router is located in my dad's office, so i cannot use direct connection only wireless.

6. Gouthaman

Gouthaman

Okay. We've narrowed down a bit. Try the following possibilities:

#1. To check whether the wireless adapter of your desktop has issues, try connecting it to another desktop and have a look.
    #2. Do you have other computers in your household that use the wireless connection? If so, how do they work?

7. gripman67

gripman67 Thread Starter

1. My computer is the only desktop in the household so i can't really experiment this one.
    2. All of the laptops (2) are able to connect to the internet without dropping. They have consistent connection and don't have the same problems as my desktop

8. Gouthaman

Gouthaman

What kind of Wireless Adapter do you use? USB?

9. gripman67

gripman67 Thread Starter

10. Gouthaman

Gouthaman

Then you can easily try it on a laptop. Just plug in the Wireless Adapter to the USB port on a laptop and see how the Internet connectivity is. If it's flaky - the problem is with your Wireless Adapter and you need to get a new one. If it's normal, we'll have to diagnose what's wrong with your desktop.

11. gripman67

gripman67 Thread Starter

thanks for the reply, sorry i got to this so late. Was waiting until i returned home to test this out. The connection when using a laptop with the adapter is fine so i'm guessing that its my pc that has the trouble.

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    lets see an xirrus screen shot from the desktop with the USB wireless adapter connected

have you updated the wireless drivers for the USB adapter ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    {run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector} Download and install
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
    Direct link to the program is here http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifi_download_redirect.php
    Then run and install the program
    if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

13. gripman67

gripman67 Thread Starter

Here is the Screen Shot i took.

14. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    no screen shot attached

15. gripman67

gripman67 Thread Starter

Sorry i think i uploaded the screen shot now

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977056

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice