1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: My Internet Now Slow & Intermittent. Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Steve-x8086, Dec 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve-x8086

Steve-x8086 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Steve
    Hi. This all started about 12-01-2011 when Google started its new web page with the Blue banner below the Black one and more unneeded junk cluttering up the page. What is happening is that the Browser will hang waiting for a reply or data to be transmitted. I can see that in the messages like >waiting for google.com< and >transferring data from google.com<. The same kind of message appears on almost any other website I go to, even when I go to them directly. It just has the different websites name in it instead of Google. Sometimes it is waiting for an ad, picture or other stuff that junks up websites.

I have run updated AVG free in both the regular boot up and in the Safe Mode. Nothing was found. Other things I have done are Defragment, clear the Cache, IE Temp, Temp, Cookies and even looked at the Task Manager to no avail.

My ISP and I get along fine. We Pinged several websites and did a speed Test. The results were right on the money. I am not the only one with this problem & he has no idea why we are having this problem.

My computer system consists of: Windows XT Pro with SP-3, the latest and last update, IE-8, FF-3.0.10, 2gb Ram, 3.2gb P4, no Router or Modem, the MS Firewall is off and I am using a Fiber line to the ISP who is about 2 miles away. The line was installed 2 years ago. My speed is 1.0-gbps or about 125-bps both ways. Most of my software programs are set up to turn on only when I am using them and then ther are shut off completely when I am done. There is not much running in the background.

Now, I have HJT and other similar programs. Please let me know if you need anything else or have any ideas. Up until 12-01-2011, I connected in a flash with almost no hanging or waiting.

Many thanks, Steve-x8086

2. Steve-x8086

Steve-x8086 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Steve
    Well, I am not surprised that there weren't many ideas. Several things came up and the problem is now fixed.

1) I called the ISP again one morning and asked if he would come out and plug his laptop into my ISP's outdoor box and see if the box was working properly. Later that day I was supprised to see that both my computers were working fine again on the internet. The ISP never called me back.

2) As far as what google has been doing to their search page, that blue line is gone and the left hand panel is also gone. Google is working well again.

I do not know if there was any relation between these 2 things and what may have happened. I believe that it was something in the web though.

Many thanks, Steve-x8086

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice