1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: My internet speed, and the various speed tests

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by mtzlplex, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed Thread Starter

Good day to all. I am using AT&T(sbcglobal) dsl. My plan is for the speed of 1mb and under. Now, I realize I am not going to get 1mb, the speed will be under. But the tests I am running are showing speeds around or under 1/4 of a mb. All these tests were run one right after another, at 5 different times of the day, from 8am to 11pm for 3 consecutive days. I have 2 computers running XP that I ran the tests on, and there are no problems with either computer, other than the internet speed. Here are the results.

Speedtest.net: download: 0.24mbps / upload: 0.32mbps

Speakeasy.net: download: 0.24mbps / upload: 0.32mbps

McAfee Internet connection speedometer: 200kbps

CNet Bandwidth Meter: line speed 224kbps

Now, when I run my ISPs speed test AT&T Speedtest, the test shows my speed is: download: 1.58mbps / upload: 0.31mbps. I don`t understand the large difference in speeds I am getting from independent speed tests, and the speedtest from my ISP. Now if I am to believe my ISPs speedtest, they are going to try to tell me I am receiving more download speed than I am paying for. I find that very hard to believe.

Since this is the first time I have looked into this, I am kind of in the dark about how much speed is expected exactly, but 0.24 seems on the low side to me. I know I will have to contact my ISP to look indepth into this problem, and that is why I came here first. I don`t want to sound like a complete idiot when I contact them. Hopefully someone can look at my speed tests, and give me an idea of how much on the low side my speeds are, and how much speed on an average I should really expect. Thanks for your time.

Regards
    IMP49

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know why you get such high readings from the AT&T test. I tried this AT&T test and got 10.86 down, 0.92 up. Speedtest.net just afterwards gave 10.96 down and 0.76 up. Usually I get a little better, as my cable internet is 12 down/1 up.

Anyhow, my personal "rule of thumb" is that if you get 90% of advertized there is no point in complaining; with 80% or worse it needs to be investigated.

If you are using a Wi-Fi connection only, try an ethernet connection. If you have separate modem and router try a connection directly to the modem.

There are basically two types of DSL setups. The best is a good quality DSL splitter/filter at the entrance with one line going directly to the modem and the filtered line going to all other phone line devices. The other is more helter skelter and relies on filters for each phone, answering machine, etc.

If you have the latter type eliminate as much of that as you can for testing. If you have a Network Interface Device at the entrance where you can eliminate all your interior wiring and can connect your modem there it's worth doing so for a test. Else remove everything from the phone jacks except for the modem.

Bottom line is that the speeds you are getting are pathetic, and I am trying to help you find any possible problem that you own (router or interior wiring). Another thing I did not mention is a possible bad filter if you have the latter type of setup.

3. mtzlplex

Hi Terry, thanks for looking at my problem. That AT&T test that you used is the same I used. I just used it again and got download: 1.12 and upload: 0.31. Then I went straight to Speedtest.net, and got download: 0.23 and upload 0.31. Then I went to Speakeasy.net, and got download: 0.24 and upload 0.32, so I am confused. Sorry for not giving more info, the system is wired to a modem, then wired to a router, 3 computers attached to the router wired by wired. The way my phone system is set up is I have 1 phone on it`s own jack in my livingroom, and one phone jack in my computer room, and the one in the computer room has my modem attached to my router, and computers on it, and nothing else. I do have the filters on my phone that I will check using new filter that I have. That speed difference between the tests has got me baffled, I could understand a slight difference, but the difference between these tests is just too much, and they are consistently different over days.

Regards
    IMP49

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't really trust speed tests recommended or sponsored by the ISP, but I agree with you that such a great difference is extremely puzzling. Does your internet access "feel" more like the 1 Mbps or the 0.02 Mbps?

5. mtzlplex

I made a mistake in placement of decimal point on my last reply, it should have been 0.23, and 0.24 download, and 0.31 and 0.32 upload on my last test, which is right inline with my other tests I have done that were independent, not the isps test. Tomorrow I will change the filter on the phone to check that. It does feel like 0.24, it takes forever to download anything. Thanks Terry.

Regards
    IMP49

6. mtzlplex

Hey Terry, mission accomplished. Today I tried the Speedtest.net test, and received a speed of 0.18 download, and 0.31 upload, then I went to at&t speedtest, and you`ll get a laugh out of this, they gave me a download speed of 4.00mb, with a upload speed of 0.31. Well, after that, I replaced the inline filter on the phone, turned off all computers/modem, and router, and unplugged all from electrical power. Then I unplugged all network connections, then I went and took the phone jack apart. Found another thing that could have been part of the problem, the jack connectors were corroded, as well as where you plug the cable into the jack, and that cable end as well. I cleaned all the connections with electrical connector cleaner, hooked everything back up, and turned the computers back on. I went straight to Speedtest.net, and got a download speed of 0.75, with an upload of 0.32. Then I went to at&t speedtest, and received a download speed of 0.76, with an upload of 0.32. Now, I know that 0.75 download is still a little under what I should expect, but compared to 0.18 download I was getting, I think I will be happy with 0.75. I have been checking the speeds for the last 4 hours, and they have been in the running consistently around 0.75. I don`t know what the deal with the at&t speedtest is, but I don`t know how much I will be trusting it from now on. Thanks for taking the time to aid me with my problem, your guidance/tips is very much appreciated.

Regards
    IMP49

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Good detective work! :) Unfortunately DSL "up-to" speeds are for customers pretty close to the central office. Get two miles away and getting 75% is probably about the best possible.

But if there is anything else in your interior wiring (splitters, wire splices, etc.) you haven't yet dealt with you may want to check them also.

You're welcome for my ideas and moral support. :)

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1039102

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice