1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: My life is ruined

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Joeguy, Jul 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Joeguy

Joeguy Thread Starter

Ok so i installed a new theme on my computer, but all i gto was the background and the sounds. So i tried to get xp back, but it wouldnt work. Now all that i can get is windows classic. HELP>[email protected]!>[email protected]>@>

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Your life is ruined because you cannot get the Teletubby look ? ? . . .

What happens when you right click on an empty spot on the Desktop, select Properties and undet the Themes tab, select Windows XP ( shudder . . )

3. buckfan1

buckfan1

do a restore point

4. iaavagent

iaavagent

NO! DON'T DO A SYSTEM RESTORE POINT YET, IF AT ALL!
    Restore doesn't restore all things and you could end up losing lots of stuff it doesn't monitor ie: your personal docs and jpg files and on and on. Here's a link to read on all it does and doesn't monitor/restore= http://bertk.mvps.org/html/filesfolders.html

Do what Simpswr suggested and report back if any problems.

Did you do the change/install in that menu or did you download some?

Don't forget to let us know how it goes.

5. Joeguy

Joeguy Thread Starter

I downloaded them, and no matter which way i go about changing the theme, it fails and i get an error report

6. Jbirk

Jbirk

Check to see if the Themes service is started.

Sometimes the themes service gets disabled then you are stuck with the classic look.

7. sy2

sy2

8. Joeguy

Joeguy Thread Starter

Hey thanks for all the help everyone, I did a system restore and that fixed it. I even have new styles working! so thanks again and bye.

9. buckfan1

buckfan1

amazing

10. iaavagent

iaavagent

Doing a system restore is one of the last resorts to fix a problem.
    Why do you think the experts on TSG work everything else first before suggesting that.
    Sometimes it's an easy and quick fix but not the best!

Let's hope joeguy doesn't have to find out that the hardway down the road, like I did!
    Hope he backed up prior.

Good luck joeguy!

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't agree, I'd rather use it to save 15 minutes of troubleshooting UNLESS the problem is very dated and I would have to restore from more than a week or to a date prior to major installs.

System Restore does NOT affect "personal" data as long as long as that data is in the My Documents folder.

At other times I would recommend avoiding it is if it was likely to restore infected files that had been cleaned. In this case it IS a last resort.

12. iaavagent

iaavagent

No problem Rollin' Rog with your disagreeing.

However I try to consider the posters experience and "first" find out exactly those exception which you pointed out. This was a lesson learned right here on TSG,
    and it was "I" giving the advice to do a system restore.

In this case it "may not?" be a problem but the advice was without that knowledge!
    Only time will tell in this case and hopefully joeguy doesn't view this as a cure all as it sure isn't.

My best to all.

13. iaavagent

iaavagent

Not to beat a dead horse, but,

Here is just one example of many regarding the limitations of System Restore and one not fully understanding those limitations.= http://forums.techguy.org/t385513.html

As I said one of many and not to say it isn't better to have, just be carefull!

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't think System Restore caused any of his problems, it just didn't correct it. People should also be aware that System Restores can be "undone" if not helpful.

His loss of restore points may be due to problems on his hard drive.

Hell I use it for things as mundane as restoring the order of my icons on the quicklaunch bar when they get scrambled -- or when I can't for the life of me drag and drop the thing back where it belongs.

I installed Microsoft Office on a laptop yesterday, creating a checkpoint before and after the install.

And sure enough I had to use the "post install" checkpoint almost immediately when somehow I lost the "language bar" function and couldn't re-enable it.

15. sy2

sy2

If you do the research to learn what System Restore really does and how it works, then it is an extraordinarily useful tool.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!