1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: My linksys switch has started killing the dsl connection.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by slingblade09, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slingblade09

slingblade09 Thread Starter

I have been using a linksys 5 port workgroup switch in my room. I have the ethernet cable coming from the router into the uplink port and my PS3, xbox, dvr, and pc in the other ports. It has been working fine until today I started messing around the the cables. I had trouble with the ps3 connecting to the internet so I used my laptop with wifi disabled to test out a few of the cables and ports. Now all of a sudden the switch kills the internet connection. If I remove the cable running to my room from the main router, the other PCs and wireless will connect, but as soon I plug myself up it goes dead. I now have the ethernet cable in my room hooked directly to the PC bypassing the switch and everything works fine now.

Has the switch gone bad? Any ideas?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know how anybody can answer that any better than you have. :) Your trouble shooting has confirmed your thread title.

3. slingblade09

slingblade09 Thread Starter

Well I just figured it out. I had no idea port 5 and the uplink port were shared. That was messing everything up.
    Seems like a pretty stupid design though...why not just make the ports separate.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know the design reason for that, but it's very common (maybe universal) for older switches. Newer ones have auto-sensing ports so no need for a special "uplink." Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for posting the solution. :)

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!