1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: My Mic doens't work

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Chogen84, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chogen84

Chogen84 Thread Starter

I tried 3 different mics on my computer already and none of them worked. So i know its my computers problem. I want to know why mics don't seem to work on my computer. I cant speak or hear people out of them. I don't have it on mute, im plugging it in in the right spot my settings (as far as i know) allow my mic to have it connected. Im trying to use the mic on Aim.

What i think may be the problem:
    1)My sound card doesn't allow them
    2)Trying to put in the sound card i may have disconnected something that is needed to use the mic
    3)Something in the options does not allow it

Thank you

2. A/V4U

A/V4U

What is your soundcard made. On "Quck Launch Toolbar" right bootom corner of your screen> right click on "Volume" icon.Select Open Volum Control>Options>Properties>Tick on Recording> Make sure Microphone is "hooked"> click OK>Make sure Select is hooked and slider should adjust level> you can also click Options>Advanced Controls>Advanced>And hook Mic +20dB boost......now you should definitely have sound/recording.......you must find spot without feedbacking of the mic. If this doesnt help than make sure you have latest drivers for your souncard instaled...hope this help

3. Chogen84

Chogen84 Thread Starter

i tried this and it still doesn't work. thanks anyway. I have no idea what the problem is, if anyone has any thing else that may help please tell me.

4. new tech guy

new tech guy

If you can turn it on and hear yourself talking through the computer speakers, you know the hardware is ok and it must be a connection issue. If you cannot, usually looking at the back of a pc, i beleive the mic port is the pink plug on the sound card and the audio is green. Also you should double click your sound icon in windows, then look for microphone. Make sure that is not muted or turned down, if you do not see it go to options>properties. At that point, make sure microphone is checked. Once done, go back, configure volume and make sure the device is turned on if it has a switch. If you can hear yourself, then your fine.

5. Chogen84

Chogen84 Thread Starter

i tried this all many times but it still doesn't work. The problem has to be something with my computer.

6. new tech guy

new tech guy

Can you hear yourself if you plug in the mic, turn it on, can you hear yourself talking from the speakers, if in doubt, put your ear up to it and if you hear yourself talking, then its a network issue, if not ,could even be the soundcard. I have had that port die on my old pc.

7. Chogen84

Chogen84 Thread Starter

Ok i got my mic to work but i cant hear people out of it whats the problem?

8. new tech guy

new tech guy

What do you mean by that? You hear people talk out of the speakers, not the microphone. Also, please answer the questions we are asking, this helps troubleshoot the problem. And you are saying you can hear yourself talking in your microphone, but when connection to others is made, you can talk but they cant hear you and you cannot hear them? That would be a connection issue, again. And please read my messages before thinking everything is a "fix" all of the time.

9. Chogen84

Chogen84 Thread Starter

Ok i didnt have my mic connected in a certain hole now i connected it in the right hole. i can hear myself through my speakers now but then i clicked do not monitor. I also fixed the hearing problem so everything is perfect. Thank you for your support

10. new tech guy

new tech guy

Good to hear you solved it, im sorry if i came off a bit rude but i just wanted you to calm down a bit as it seemed like you were going crazy for a fix, If you look closely at a soundcard however on the ports there are small images that show what goes to what connection. If your thread is solved, please go to thread tools, click mark solved, then click perform action. :).

11. A/V4U

A/V4U

Good to hear you solved problem.(y)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698092

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice