1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: My Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lori 1, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lori 1

Lori 1 Thread Starter

For two days now I've had monitor problems, if I go away from my computer for more than 15 minutes my screen goes blank, the only way I can get it to come back on is to shut off and restart my computer. Does anyone have any clues on this?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you're restarting the computer, the problem isn't the monitor. Is the computer going into Standby or Hibernation? Did you check the Power Options in Control Panel? Is the light on the monitor switch orange instead of green when this happens? Is this a laptop or desktop computer? Are there any other lights flashing, steady, etc. when this happens?

3. Lori 1

Lori 1 Thread Starter

I just went to my Power options, and all the settings are as they should be. Never going into Hibernation etc But yes my processer and my monitor lights were both blinking when this would happen. I didnt notice if the monitor light was orange or not.
    It's a desktop computer. Is the box on the Hinernation Tab suppose to be checked or unchecked? my guess would be unchecked.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

That's up to you but since hibernation seldom works right and you are having issues with power management, I would leave it unchecked.
    Tell us how Power Options is set in Control Panel.

5. Lori 1

Lori 1 Thread Starter

Here they are: I did uncheck the Hibernation box.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      78.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2  Options.JPG
      2 Options.JPG
      File size:
      83.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      73.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      92.9 KB
      Views:
  6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The answer's right there in the first picture. After 15 minutes, the computer is going into Standby. If you don't want it to do that, uncheck the option.

7. Lori 1

Lori 1 Thread Starter

Thank you both. Glad to know it's not a major problem with my monitor. (y) Thanks.........................

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

I also would set monitor for 30 minutes and hard drive for an hour as well which is the normal pattern.

9. Lori 1

Lori 1 Thread Starter

I don't remember ever having to ajust my power options, so I'm not real familiar with this. So if I set my hard drive for 1 hour is this going to shut my computer off?

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

No just sets to sleep. Shaking the mouse or quick press on power button will wake up.

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes I never use screen savers. They are no longer necessary and can easily interfere with operation of pc. I personally set ,home/office desk and am not terribly sure of difference between it and "energy star" but it's force of habit as I see that on HP/Compaq units. Then I set 30 minutes monitor, 1 hour hard drive and 1 hour standby.....if available I would also set power button to sleep as opposed to shut down so we are sure tapping that will awaken unit and in bios on desktops I also set power button in power management to 4 second delay to further help that along. I have been doing this since Windows 95 and never had an issue, but to each his own and I have never used screen savers as they often conflict with the OS and especially if you use power management which I have always used heavily. Bear in mind there are 2 types or settings for standby in most bios. one is S1 which is a normal sleep which only is a slight power cut and you will still have fans running. The other is S3 which is a ram sleep where all fans go down with components and it most resembles hibernate without the problems often associated with hibernate on Windows pc's. Hope this helps and remember I am not saying what is right, just what I do. I use power management where many do not when I am not shutting down. I recommend shutting down at night and when you leave your home, otherwise power management is on for me. Many folks have differing opinions.

12. Lori 1

Lori 1 Thread Starter

I deleted my question, thinking maybe it was an inappropriate question, then you posted a reply, and an excellent reply it is. Thanks.......... (y)

13. Lori 1

Lori 1 Thread Starter

Ok so are you saying you yourself don't turn your computer off for the most part?
    I've heard in the past that shutting your computer off and on isn't good for it, but then again I don't like my computer to be vulnerable to anyone that may be lurking out there.

Just something I've wandered about over the years. I guess to each his own huh?
    I've talked to a internet installers, and it's really not safe out there in cyber space,(not wanting to go into detail) so you just have to protect your computer the best you can.

Thanks for the interesting info........

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Smart computing practices are far more successful than protection applications.

Leaving a computer on all the time only increases the risk of intrusion because there are simply more opportunities to access it. If you use your computer all day and turn it off at night, there's no extra protection in that.

15. Lori 1

Lori 1 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648533

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice