1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: My name used in spam emails

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by WallabyWood, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WallabyWood

WallabyWood Thread Starter

Hi,

My name is being used in spam emails to my accounts - see below for the form of the email my friends are receiving.
    My name is in the 'from' field, but the email address is not mine - it is an unknown person's Yahoo email address.
    I really need this to be fixed as emails are being sent to my clients.
    I signed up to a Yahoo forum a few days ago and created a Yahoo email address - maybe the problem started there. I also use Facebook and it may have started there.
    Thanks for your help!

Sent: Thursday, 7 February 2013 3:02 AM
    To: My friend's email
    Subject: very good!

hi (my friend's name)
    http:// link to unknown file

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Sorry to report that you may not be able to do much to stop this.

It is possible that your computer or a friend's computer was hacked or infected by a virus that stole the address book contents and sent them to a spammer or hacker. That party could now be sending spam or e-mails with attached virus infected file to others in the address book, using forged headers to make it look like it was being sent by someone listed in the address book.

3. valis

valis Moderator

what cwwozniak said; sounds like you got your email spoofed. Happened to me a few years ago, nothing to worry about. The IP's won't match anyhow.

4. WallabyWood

WallabyWood Thread Starter

Thanks - I appreciate you taking the time to reply. This seems to happen with Yahoo more than other email addresses - is that your experience?

5. valis

valis Moderator

with web-based emails, absolutely. I don't think I've ever had my home email spoofed, the one that runs through outlook.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088486

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice