Solved: My network, help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BadHairDay

Okay, give me a hand here. This is what i got: Dynex Cable/DSL Router, the ethernet cords, a pc running windows xp, a pc running 98, and a westell 2200 modem (DSL). I set up the router theway they said to in the correct sequence and then ran the setup wizard and cant connect through router, only direct. (thats how im on here) so i need to know what to do to finish the network. thank you.

Is the cable from the modem to the routher plugged in to the correct port?

On your XP machine, go to Start > Run > type cmd...this should give you the MS-DOS prompt. Type ipconfig /release and at the next prompt type ipconfig /renew

Try this on that one machine and post back. We'll see if this is the issue.

BadHairDay

I have it hooked directly to the modem now and i can connect, but with it hooked up it dont work. i have themodem in the WAN port. (correct) and it didnt work. but are you asking to hook back into the router, do the release and renew, and then see what happens? i need you to guide me through the whole process to make sure that all the connections and settings are correct.

EDIIITTTTT!!

ok, went back to router setup (reconnected everthing and ran cmd) and this is what it gave me:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

IP Address for adapter Local Area Connection has already been released.

ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

ok, so looks like your PC was assigned an IP address. ANd you still can't get online? Try going back to the MS-DOS prompt and type ping yahoo.com. See if you can get a series of 4 replies

SO that means it's something to do with your router. Tell me what the ports are labeled as in the back of the router.

BadHairDay

Ok, i hook up the router and all the other things, then i go to the browser, i type http://192.168.0.1 and it goes to setup for the router. I click run wizard, next, next, select time zone and next, then it auto detects the WAN, then it goes to PPPoE username and password. I put in the DSL username and pass and then hit next, and it says it is finished. then it says reopen the browser to test connection but nothing comes up. I hope this helps.

Ok try this, go throught the setup again and instead of choosing PPPoe...select Dynamic IP and leave the next optional screens blank.

BadHairDay

(y) good call. got this computer working, now onto getting the 98 to work. (my aunt thanks you for your help)

The 98 machine should work just fine after this. Instead of cmd, you may need to type command and may need to use winipcfg

BadHairDay

not exactly, do i try that address and run the router setup? because i tried to get on the net and it has no page.

No, you do not need to run the router setup again. Only the Windows 98 machine has to be configured. Actually i got it wrong...type winipcfg in the Run dialog box and you should get another box that gives you potions to release and renew

BadHairDay

Fatal Error

Cannot read IP configuration

this cant be good......uh....crap.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online