1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: My PC connects to my ADSL router but my laptop can't see it?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by voidstate, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. voidstate

voidstate Thread Starter

Hi

I hope you can help me. As the title says, my PC connects to my ADSL router fine but my laptop can't see it?

I can ping it from the PC but get no response from pinging its IP on the laptop.

Both are set to use DHCP.

The PC is running XP, the laptop Vista.

I've tried turning off the laptop's firewall, restarting everything, checking connections. Nothing helps. And I have connected the laptop to my work's network while there so I know the network card is OK.

I have been using the same ethernet cable to connect - simply taking the ethernet cable out of the PC's network card and putting it into the laptop's. One connects, the other doesn't.

I'm completely stumped. Any ideas what I should try next?

Cheers

Fergus

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please show for each connected to the router ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. voidstate

voidstate Thread Starter

For the laptop (not working):

And for the PC (works):

Thanks!

4. tek guy

tek guy

Can you please give the exact model of your device?

5. voidstate

voidstate Thread Starter

The laptop is a HP Pavilion G6060ea Notebook PC.

6. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

I find it strange that on both the assigned ip and gateway are the same address. There appears to be no router involved but that you are bridged to the ISPs network. The 255.255.255.255 limits you to one host.

Only difference I see is [nonworking] mac 00-1E-4C-A6-01-3F
    and [working] mac 00-20-ED-57-DC-71

Usually if mac filtering for access you would not have gotten a dhcp ip. Just for giggles and grins put the working mac address on the nic of the non working workstation.

You do this in the advanced tab of the nic and "network address" or "locally administered address"

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have to believe these were done one at a time, not with the other one connected. Clearly, the ISP's DHCP server would NOT have assigned the IP address in duplicate.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think we need to know the exact brand and model of your ADSL router.

Was John right about the two PC's being connected at different times, or were they connected at the same time?

It appears that you have a modem/router combo that is configured in a mode to pass the public IP address to the connected computer. If you want to connect one PC at a time you probably have to unplug the modem/router when switching computers. If you are connecting multiple PCs you need to reconfigure the router as a "normal" router--let it assign private IP addresses to the computers.

I suppose it's also possible that you have separate modem and router, with the modem connected to a LAN port instead of the router's WAN port.

9. kait35

kait35

Let's not forget he said he could unplug the patch cable from the "working" desktop and plug into the laptop with no connection. It seems to definitely be an isolated issue with the laptop. Is the router wireless? If so try connecting wireless to see if it's an issue with the Ethernet card. Is it possible it is set for MAC address filtering? Try ipconfig /flushdns at a command prompt then reboot the router. Not sure if that will help but it's worth a try.

10. voidstate

voidstate Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone.

My router is a D-Link 300T. It's not wireless. It's been happily working for almost 4 years so I have only dim memories of setting it up.

Strangely, I can get to the admin tools through a browser from working desktop on http://192.168.1.1 but not from the non-working notebook.

The two computers were connected one at a a time. I took the ethernet cable from the working desktop PC and put it into the non-working notebook.

This morning, I tried turning off the modem long enough to lose its IP address. Then I connected it to the non-working notebook and a wizard appeared to set up the newly-detected network. After that, the Network and Sharing Center showed I was connected to the internet. However, when I tried to open a webpage, it couldn't be found. And when I went back to the Network and Sharing Center the internet was no longer shown as connected. :(

Wanderer2 - I can't find where to set the MAC address. The notebook is running Vista Home Premium, if that makes a difference.

kait35 - I tried "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /flushdns". Both gave the message "The requested operation requires elevation". I tried holding the laptop up near the ceiling and doing it again but it still gave the same error*.

Cheers

Fergus

* Only kidding. :p

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on.

• Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
    • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
    • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
    • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
    • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
    • Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The D-Link 300-T is more properly called an ADSL modem, although I did find some indication that there is firmware available to turn it into a router.

If John's procedure didn't get you working I'm thinking that your problem PC could be blocked by a 3rd party firewall (internet security).

13. voidstate

voidstate Thread Starter

Thanks for your hep everyone. I only just got back online after trying (and failing) to set up the compuers' IPs manually. Got it working now and they both connect fine. I also reset the modem to factory settings.

Really appreciate the time you guys took to help!

Fergus

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/685025

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice