1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: My PC heats up too much

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nikolajo, Jun 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nikolajo

nikolajo Thread Starter

My PC really heats up in about 30-50min.
    I have no idea why , all the fans are working and im not running anything that's way out of my specs.
    i downloaded a fan control program and i can see that the 2 CPU cores are the ones that heat up the most.
    the GPU , System , MB parts are at 30-45 * C but the 2 CPU cores are at 50-70 * C after about 40 min.
    I thought it was wool clogging up my fans and suffocating my PC so i cleaned it up a little , it still heats up.
    The only way i can stop it from overheating is if i use my old room fan and strap it to the side of the PC but that wastes too much electricity

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I've seen a number of desktop computers in the past 2 months that have the processor heatsink cooling fan clogged with dust, animal hair, etc..

It's sometimes impossible to blow out or suck out all debris, so I've had to remove the cooling fan first to do a proper and complete cleaning.

Besides this causing the processor to run too hot, a too-hot processor can cause blue screens, lengthly startup times, runaway pop-up windows, and other issues.

---------------------------------------------------------

3. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    what CPU do you have? Like Frank said, you nedd to make sure it is COMPLETELY free of dirt, dust and debris. What program did you DL ? Can you DL HWMonitor an post a screenshot of the temps for us?

4. nikolajo

nikolajo Thread Starter

i have a pentium 4 3.20GHz (2cores ) cpu
    and the temps of the 2 cores are from 50-70*C ( 70 when i run a game ).
    Also i checked all the fans and here really isn't any debris clogging it , just a little dust on the wires.

I was wondering if the summer temps , differences in the electricity ( V , W ... ) could do this
    because in the winter i had a similar problem , but instead of overheating my PC it didn't have enough V to run and it kept turning off

5. replay

replay

do u have a exhaust fan at the back of the tower??
    also is there a intake fan at the front???

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Remove the heatsink, clean it and the top of the CPU, use new heatsink compound and replace.

7. nikolajo

nikolajo Thread Starter

1. Yes i have 4 fans ,1 at the back , 1 on top , 1 at the power source , 1 on the motherboard.
    2. There are some tight spots that i can't clean very well with just a brush , cloth and a vacuum cleaner

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Be careful with what you use to clean and blow out the interior of a computer case because you can easily damage or dislodge components.

What works well for me is a pistol grip type portable hair dryer set on "high" blower speed and "cool" temperature.

-----------------------------------------------------------

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Don't use a cloth or vacuum cleaner, those can destroy your computer. A can of compressed air would be the way to go.

10. nikolajo

nikolajo Thread Starter

ok then i guess i'll just go to service and let them cleat it out with some tool im sure they have

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A can of compressed is all you need, you can pick that up an any electronics, hardware, and many department stores.

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  13. nikolajo

nikolajo Thread Starter

i took it to a friend who works with computers, he cleaned it for me and not it seems that it doesn't heat up as much. It still reaches 50*C but that's normal i guess for an old CPU

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Glad to hear you have a computer-knowledgeable friend who could help you. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    50 degrees is normal for a mobile CPU, even modern processors can hotter than that.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!