1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: My pc won't boot proparly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Luri, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Luri

Luri Thread Starter

When I turn on my pc, I have to press f1 to continue, as my computer want's to tell me that it can't find a primary master or primary slave. Then afterwards when I'm asked how I would want my windows xp to be started (normally, safe mode), it restarts regardless of what I chose. If I chose safe mode a lot of writings appear, a short flash of bluescreen and it reboots.
    I'm unable to boot windows from a cd, eventhough I've set cd-rom first in the boot priority. I'm uanble to reach any dos etc.

Tell me if you want to know more. Help is greatly appriciated.

2. Luri

Luri Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that I've just upgraded my computer. I've upgraded the motherboard, psu, cpu and graphic card..

3. iwishiwascooltoo

iwishiwascooltoo

You should probably post some more information about the hardware you are using.

I think I had a similar error when I tried to put my old hard drive in my newly built computer and run XP; it didn't like that I had changed all the hardware so I had to do a clean XP install. My guess is that's your problem. Do you have another HD you could install a clean copy of XP, or are you OK with losing everything on your current drive?

Also, in regards to your boot priority problem, I don't know what kind of motherboard you are using, but with my Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 I have to press f12 during POST to change boot priority, if I just change it in the BIOS it doesn't work for some reason.

4. Luri

Luri Thread Starter

Formated before I bought the new hardware. Thing is i'm trying to get a new install, but it refuses to boot from the cd. So I can't format or install windows.

5. WizzyUK

WizzyUK

Use your XP disk to fix windows. Seems to be a problem with the boot.ini file. The hardware change will have caused NTDLR error.

F1 forces detection thats how you can load windows now. You will have this problem untill you re-install the hardware drivers to your "current OS" Its simple to resolve. Just use your XP disk from a cold boot, get to the windows setup and typre /r. It takes 10 mins.

After that your BIOS will boot from 1st device (HDD) and not give you a prompt.

6. Luri

Luri Thread Starter

The problem was fixed. It had trouble booting everything cause the BIOS boot priority device, the DVD-rom, was set to the wrong type. There was two types of device and one of them was wrong. Btw, the mobo was a MSI.

Thanks for the suggestions here anyhow.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596911

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice