1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: My PC Won't Start In Normal Mode Anymore.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Serge_N_Gin, Oct 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Serge_N_Gin

Serge_N_Gin Thread Starter

Hello,

My PC won't start in Normal Mode anymore.

I went to restart it in SafeMode by this method:

Start>Run>Msconfig>SafeBoot Option>Restart

When the PC restarted it stalled where you get to choose which type of start you want, eg:

Last known good configuration, Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Normal Bootup, etc.

At the top of the screen was this message:

Windows failed to start properly due to a Hardware/Software change you may have made recently.

I noticed that my mouse/keyboard has failed too and this stopped my being able to select an option.

My mouse is USB and the keyboard is part of a wireless combo. The wireless mouse doesn't work anymore but the keyboard is still in use. It has the receiver which usually lights up but in this instance is dead too.

Because of the manner in which I entered into the SafeMode chain of events my PC is rebooting back into SafeMode in an infinite loop until I power off {which I have to do by hitting the powerpoint switch because the PC power button won't respond}

How can I get around this loop and start my PC normally without boot discs?

My PC won't reboot into Normal Mode until I log into SafeMode and reverse the booting option.

I tried the XP installation disc but the PC would'nt boot from the disc.

2. primetime212

primetime212

I think your keyboard is still usable..if not try another one
    you can easily move your way around using the Windows hotkey on the keyboard for the Start menu..move around the menu with the arrow keys..tab key your way around the buttons and and tabs for the msconfig window..and use + or - to check or uncheck a box... (y)

3. Serge_N_Gin

Can I use my Mac Keyboard? It's usb and very recent.

4. barb702

barb702

This is what I had to do for the same problem but I could use My keyboard. in msconfig. using my tab button I checked "normal startup" in the general tab, then clicked the "startup" tab and had to undo any changes I made there and that solved the prob.. Hope this helps

5. Serge_N_Gin

My keyboard isn't responding at all and because it's part of a wireless combo and the receiver isn't showing any LCD lights I can't get past the Select your method of SafeMode screen. There's a countdown to reboot and it just reboots to this screen, then counts down until I make a selection, which I can't, then reboots in a never-ending cycle. I just hit the powerpoint and shut it down to stop it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/410887