1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: My PSU went bad how do I know which is the right one to buy to replace??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adisx06x, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adisx06x

adisx06x Thread Starter

My computer recently did not turn when ever I clicked to turn it on. Long story short, I bought a new PSU and found that it was indeed the PSU that was faulty and my computer turned on. However, even though the power supply turned on my computer, I noticed I bought the wrong one for it to fit my case. I bought a Diablotek PHD Series PHD380M 380W Micro ATX Power Supply from Newegg. My computer was a stock computer I bought a while ago. It is a HP Media Center PC m7664x. My question is how do I know which PSU properly dimension wise fits for my case and or computer? Also, what website to visit so I can immediately buy one, Thank You all in advance.

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
  3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I'm using one of These in my HP m7690y .. (about the same as your m7664x)
    I changed from the stock 350W because I needed more power.

I went with the OEM HP Stock number HP 5188-2863 because I knew the cables were short (made for) the small HP case ...
    And I trust HP's quality.
    Same as what's supplied in a HP d4999t that I also have.
    I tried stuffing the cables for generic PSU in my HP m7690y once .... And it wasn't a fun or neat installation :D

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Here's the OEM 350W Replacement (5188-2859) that was supplied in my m7690y

5. adisx06x

adisx06x Thread Starter

@Gr3iz

I'm pretty sure it's a standard power supply I found this website do you think it's the right one:
    http://www.power-on.com/ea460u.html

I just hope i could find something a little cheaper than $75

6. adisx06x

adisx06x Thread Starter

@Noyb

You gave two options to choose from...which one should i get???...also, I saw that some of them said refurbished and were a little cheaper from the links you posted ( im on a budget so it is nice that they're cheaper) but should i rely on refurbished or should i make sure i get a new PSU...

7. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    What about your replacement power supply did not fit? $75 is a bit much to pay for a generic power supply.

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

A standard size PSU should fit.
    One expensive PSU I tried had cable connecters on the back and it was a "Press Fit" along with too much wiring for a neat install.
    It tried another "El Cheapo" and it Blew with a big Bang in just a few minutes
    I know the ones I pointed to are expensive .. But a PSU is not a place to save money.
    350W is enough unless your running a power hungry Graphics card or several HDDs ...
    I'm running 4HDDs and twin Monitors .. And needed more power.
    Refurb would bother me on a PSU .. But many times this just means that it was an open box or a production over run and not really Reworked.

http://www.power-on.com/ea460u.html looks like the same PSU as the 460W I linked to

9. replay

replay

10. adisx06x

adisx06x Thread Starter

@Gr3iz

I bought a micro atx PSU...since I dont know too much about power supplies once i received the power supply it was way too small. My original(damaged) power supply was almost twice as big. The one I bought would have never been able to have been screwed in to my case.

And I thought the $75 is too much also but mostly because I see power supplies on Newegg that look great with great reviews.

11. adisx06x

adisx06x Thread Starter

@Noyb

So do you think I should just buy that $75 dollar PSU...It looks like its too much compared to well reviewed power supplies in other websites but if no other option thats what ill do...also how should i search a place like newegg or microcenter or with what name should i search to find the correct PSU, should i put atx 12v like it says on the $75 dollar link......And my system will prob do with a 350 to 400 watt...

@replay

I see everything is ok with the power supply you suggested it even says the atx 12 which seems to be the key...I just have one problem, the fan is pointing opposite the direction from where the plug goes to give it power. The first PSU i bought the fan was just like this and the fan ended up being on the inside of the case...my power supply goes onto the top of the case...would it not matter that the fan is inside the case and not gonna face the outside like this one:
    http://www.power-on.com/ea460u.html

12. adisx06x

adisx06x Thread Starter

I posted some pics to see if that will help....they include:
    My damaged PSU...the opening on the case of my computer... and my old PSU next to the PSU i bought that wasnt right for my case(micro atx)

Attached Files:

13. replay

replay

the fan should be inside the case to exhaust the heat out....as for the screws, most cases will give u openings for 4 screws either way....worst case u can only screw 3 in, that will still be enough to hold it

14. adisx06x

adisx06x Thread Starter

@replay

noobish question incoming: you sure? because the way my case (see pic thumbnails) is and how the PSU it had from stock it seems it needs a power supply with the fan how i mentioned before... I mean where will the heat exhaust from then...

sorry for the noobishness in that question its just frustating if i buy the wrong PSU and have to return it for the second time this week

15. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    The fan inside the power supply needs to exhaust air out the back of the computer case. Whether the fan is at the front drawing air in, or at the rear, blowing it out, the net effect is that the air from inside the case is drawn across the power supply components and ends up blowing out the back of the case.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1043500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice