1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: My Win98 SE system is HP Soup!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lizard, May 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lizard

lizard Thread Starter

I'm a new member, first post. Thanks for the site!
    I am having a printer nightmare.

I've been trying to install a (Hewlett-Packard) HP Deskjet 3650 on my P2 233Mz (64Mb Ram) Windows 98 Second Edition for a few months now.

The Technical Support at HP didn't come through. E-Mail responses seemed to be cut-and-paste. They never acknowledged reading any details that I sent them. I got the same 2-page E-Mail answer, word for word, from 2 different people. I used to work in COBOL and JCL - Tech support, and thought that we might get somewhere with reading their log files, but the last (of four) HP Tech support I talked to didn't know what the words in their own log files meant!! So I asked him what these here HP log files were for.....and things just didn't get any better from there. Anyway, their "final answer" was to re-install Windows 98.

The unit was first installed on a Windows XP Pro system at work, clean quick install from the CD, less than 10 minutes, but it wasn't really a "workplace" printer. On that install, I got asked questions that were never asked again in any re-install. Here is one of them: Is this printer connected directly to this computer or is it a network printer. Funny it never asked that when trying to install on Win 98.

When I first installed it on my PII, I got a rundll32 error on an HP file right after the process where "windows is building a driver database". I closed that program. The install program went into an automatic roll-back. I got rundll32 errors on other HP files and had to close those. I ended up looking at a screen that said "Looking For New Hardware', Text was 'New printer detected. Please wait....' and the only Button was 'CANCEL' and it was 'unclickable' (greyed). I waited 15 minutes, did CTRL+ALT+DEL on the install programs and re-booted.

I went on the internet and the hpupdate software told me I had new programs available, so I downloaded it and started to install it. More rundll32 errors.

On HP request I downloaded the full install program from their site. It told me that there was an install program that was currently suspended and that I would have to roll-back that install before I could proceed. Did that. More rundll32 errors.

After all the wrestling with this, here is some of what I have:

2 "HP Deskjet 3600 series printer" windows installer programs in c:\windows\installer,
    5 "HP Deskjet 3600 series printer" windows installer programs in c:\windows\temp,
    225 files when I search drive c: for files with attributes hp*.*,
    and I have a pile of printer files showing under "components\miscellaneous" Hp deskjet series printer, when I run Microsoft System Information.

I also have c:\windows\temp\msievent.log that lists these errors:

15-Apr-04 20:11:57 (Error ) Product: hp deskjet 3600 -- Error 1704.An installation for hp deskjet 3600 is currently suspended. You must undo the changes made by that installation to continue. Do you want to undo those changes?

15-Apr-04 20:12:09 (Error ) Product: hp deskjet 3600 -- Internal Error 2905. C:\Config.Msi\de293.rbs

15-Apr-04 20:12:16 (Error ) Product: hp deskjet 3600 -- Error 1712.One or more of the files required to restore your computer to its previous state could not be found. Restoration will not be possible.

HP has sent me a new install CD for this and I would like to completely remove any and all printer related software, registry entries, fix anything related that might be "run once" or whatever, etc.. from my computer before I try again. But, even If I do this, I still don't know where the rundll32 errors are coming from. I do know that they are GPF'S and that the install program is trying to access memory that is already being used etc. but I can't find much info on how to resolve these.

Otherwise, my pc works really great, it just hates this printer. I never get any errors on anything else.

Any help will be a great relief.

Thanks All.
    lizard

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Is it possible that this printer and the required software require Win XP to work? Not sure but just a suggested check.

3. lizard

lizard Thread Starter

Its a HP Deskjet 3650 bought only 4 months ago. The original install CD is titled "hp deskjet 3600 series Printer Software" and says its good for Windows 98, 2000, Me, and XP. The replacement CD they sent is titled "Deskjet 3600 Series Software for the 3620/3650/3650v/3658/3668 Inkjet Printer" and says its only good for Windows 98, 2000, and XP.
    ;)They killed Me, but it still didn't solve my problems.;)

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Here is anther thing about HP products. You have to install the software prior to attaching the printr to the computer. Did you do that? You amy have to do a search for any references to HP and delete any that you find. It would be easier almost to start with a clean install of Win98 SE but that may be a super hasle if you have a lot of programs installed.

5. lizard

lizard Thread Starter

The first screen of the install program warns as follows: "Do not connect the printer to your computer until you are instructed to do so", which I obeyed at least 7 times.
    When I search drive c: for files with attributes 'hp*.*', I get 225 files.
    Do you suggest I just go ahead and delete them all? That would be real easy to do, but with all those files missing, how would I ever get a clean uninstall?
    How would it take care of the complete, or partial, or otherwise abused and corrupted registry entries?
    I've noticed that if I right-click on one of these 7 installer files, it gives me the option to 'uninstall'. I mentioned this to HP Tech but they advised me not to go that route. Don't know why.
    No need to re-install Windows 98 'cause everything else on my pc works great. It just hates this printer.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Lizard:

Is your computer by any chance a HP 8160 or 8180? The 8160 has a 233 MHz Intel Pentium processor and was the last model produced with the Pentium processor before the 8180 came out with a 266 MHz Intel Pentium II processor.

My 8160 is running Windows 98SE and has a HP Deskjet 952C printer, which I installed about 3 years ago. I had no problem installing it, and it has been trouble-free ever since.

Are you using the parallel port or USB port connection?

If I remember correctly, the printer has to be connected to the computer and turned on before installing the software drivers.

Have you made use of this site?

7. lizard

lizard Thread Starter

My pc is a Dell Optiplex Gxa.
    I don't know what year your deskjet model 952c printer was introduced into the market, but if it was before Windows 98 was released, then windows may have included drivers for this model in their OEM files, which would have made your installation a snap. This is the case when you install this deskjet 3650 printer on an XP system. But there are no such convenient OEM files for this printer for Windows 98.
    I'm using USB. It's a USB printer.
    The 11x17 'quick install' glossy flier that came in the box says to connect everything before inserting the CD into the drive. When I insert the CD it says WARNING "Do not connect the printer to your computer until you are instructed to do so". Which is what I do. This is also what everyone at HP Tech says, although they did not offer an explanation as to why the flier says the opposite.
    I just want to get rid of everything printer related and start over with the replacement CD that they sent.
    If only I could back up to a simpler time. :)

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Go to the Ad remove programs wizard in control panel and the should allow you to remove what you need.

9. lizard

lizard Thread Starter

I agree, Add/Remove Programs should do it, but there are 2 entries for 'hp deskjet 3600' on my Add/Remove Programs list, as has happened before.
    These might relate to the 2 files in c:\windows\installer.
    I will be able to uninstall one and the other will say that I can't uninstall an application that is not currently installed. This I can usually trace to an incomplete key in the registry that I can get rid of, and then it won't be on the Add/Remove Programs list. But, once I get rid of the key that indicates that its there but not completely installed, I should somehow make sure that I get rid of everything else that was installed up to that point for that entry. Can I also go through the registry with regedit and delete anything with reference to "hp deskjet 3600". Are there some special printer-type registry keys I should not touch even though If I find them?

Sorry I didn't say earlier, but before I try the replacement CD I plan to:
    1) run the hp uninstall program (as many times as it will go).
    2) run Add/Remove Programs.
    3) delete anything left under c:\Program Files.
    4) go through the registry (I don't think I'll have a choice)
    Maybe I should try the 'right-click uninstall' on the 5 installer files (or whats left of them) in c:\windows\temp first..or before step 3...What do you think?
    5) make sure I have no hp files in c:\windows\inf.
    6) delete *.tmp and everything in c:\windows\temp.
    7) Search for 'hp*.*' & delete.
    8) Shut Down & restart.
    9) Check to see that theres nothing I missed from the above.
    10) run spybot (it also finds messed-up keys).
    11) restart without the 'load startup group items' in msconfig.
    12) Insert the replacement CD & run!! :D

Is there anything else you think I should look for to make sure I got everything? :confused:
    thanks

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    That will about cover it. But be very careful when you are playing inthe registry files. It would be wise to back up your registry just in case.

11. lizard

lizard Thread Starter

Thanks for helping me out with this, Dustyjay.

There's still a few things I'm not quite sure of though;

1) I don't know how to get rid of the miscellaneous stuff I see in Microsoft System Information. Do you know how this relates to the registry? What hive or keys I should look for?

2) I don't have a clue where the 'Rundll32' errors were coming from and I don't know if any of the above will stop them.

Thanks Again
    Lizard

12. lizard

lizard Thread Starter

13. lizard

lizard Thread Starter

same old same old.
    And now, In my humble opinion,
    selohssa is Hewlett-Packard spelled backwards.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/228265

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice