1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: My XP setup onto a new Hdd - how without CD??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by exceller, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. exceller

exceller Thread Starter

I have a Laptop with XP Pro and SP3.

I want to upgrade the current Hdd to a larger Hdd.

I do not have a CD for XP Pro installed and not sure if its authentic or not.

Is there any way of finding if the XP key on the base of the laptop is correct for the version of XP installed and could I image the drive complete with its operating version of Windows onto my new Hdd, I know I can do an image of my folders and documents etc..

Thanks

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Firstly and please do not be offended, but as a Senior Member, like myself, you will know that this site does not support the illegal use of licensed software, or the use of unlicensed software.
    Go to the Microsoft site and run Genuine Advantage Validation tool.
    Run Belarc Advisor from here
    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    and compare the product key with that on the base of the laptop.
    When you have done this and to comply with the rules of the forum take a screenshot of the "Passed Genuine Validation" and I will then help you.
    DO NOT OF COURSE POST product keys on the open forum.

3. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Once you have verified that you have a legal copy of Windows, then we can explain how to image the entire drive to move the entire installation to a bigger hard drive. :)

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I meant the same as LauraMJ

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

On most OEM systems the product key on the label will not match the one you see using Belarc or any other keyfinder tool.
    The OEM images use a Volume License key. If they didn't, they would have to create an image with a different product key for every PC they ship. Using a Volume License key they only need one image for each software/hardware configuration.

The main thing is, does the installed system pass validation, and does the sticker on the case match the version installed? The sticker will say the specific version of XP: Home, Pro, Media Center, Tablet PC.
    You can check the info on this page to help determine if the COA sticker is real or a counterfeit:
    http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=coa

It's also possible that someone installed an OEM/Retail edition of XP to upgrade, say from Home to Pro. The version won't match the key on the sticker in that case.

Right click My Computer, click Properties;
    In the Registered to: section is a Product ID number like this:
    Code:
    XP-Pro Ret  - 76487-340-XXXXXXX-XXXXX
    XP-MCE OEM  - 76487-OEM-XXXXXXX-XXXXX
    XP-Home Ret - 55277-338-XXXXXXX-XXXXX

On OEM versions, the 2nd set of characters is always OEM. On Retail and Non-OEM VLK, that group will be 3 numbers.

6. exceller

exceller Thread Starter

OK

Done the Validation of the XP on the laptop, all OK

So how do I clone or copy the version xp on my old hdd to the new hhd as my first post.

thanks

Attached Files:

7. exceller

exceller Thread Starter

I do I need to do or how??

thanks

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

XXClone is popular. There are many others.

Easeus Disk Copy
    O&O DiskImage Express
    Terabyte CopyWipe (Can securely remove a drive's contents, or it can copy an old drive to a new one)
    Runtime Shadow Copy
    Dr. Freeware boot CD (also has file recovery, Avast scanner, and partitioning tools)

Since it's a laptop, you are better off making an "image" of the current drive on an external, switching drives, booting from the recovery CD, and restoring the image you made to the new drive.

Free Disk Imaging Tools:

EASEUS Todo Backup
    Runtime Shadow Copy
    SelfImage (Open-source)
    O&O DiskImage Express
    Macrium Reflect
    PING (Partimage Is Not Ghost) (Free alternative to Ghost with more features)
    Paragon Drive Backup Express
    Drive Image XML
    G4U - Ghost For Unix (Platform-independent, floppy or CD)
    DiscWizard (For Seagate or Maxtor drives - contains reduced version of Acronis)

Don't forget to make the boot CD whichever one you choose. If the machine will not boot the operating system, you can still boot from the CD and use its tools to restore the image you made on the external drive.

9. exceller

exceller Thread Starter

thanks,

But I don't have any CD's, only whats on the hdd and a key on the label beneath the laptop.

10. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

You don't need any cd's. Just pick one of the disk imaging programs Elvandil has posted. The recovery cd Elvandil is referring is created from the imaging program.

11. exceller

exceller Thread Starter

OK,

Thanks

12. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

I've used EASEUS, it's pretty simple to use. :)

13. exceller

exceller Thread Starter

Ok

Done a clone of harddrive using Easeus Todo to my external drive, but no bootable CD was created or asked if I wanted one created. ??

Any clues

Thanks

14. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

If you cloned the disk, you don't need a bootable CD, just replace the original drive with the new one you just cloned and it should boot right up.

If you created an image of the original drive on an external drive, you'll need to create the bootable CD. In Todo Backup, click Tool | Create Bootable Disk.

Then put the new drive in, connect the External drive that has the image, then boot with the CD you created.and restore the image. I've not used the bootable disk so can't be more specific than that.

15. exceller

exceller Thread Starter

OK

Thanks again.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918804

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice