1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: MY yahoo email problemS - GHOSTERY

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by CoRoMo, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CoRoMo

CoRoMo Thread Starter

• I have a handful of yahoo email accounts and this problem exists within them all.
    • My computer at work has Vista and my computer at home has W8 and this problem occurs with both desktops.
    • I use Mozilla Firefox primarily.
    • This issue ONLY exists in Yahoo mail. Hotmail and others work just fine.

First off...

When composing an email, I set the cursor in the address box, I can't type anything, nothing. No button on the keyboard will enter a character in any of those fields. This problem also occurs if I try and type in the 'Subject' box or in the email body. Nothing works.
    [​IMG]

Next...

When I try and close that tab, it does nothing. Clicking on the 'X' does not close the mail tab.
    [​IMG]

Next...

Notice how you can see attachments listed on this email...(I used IE to get this screenshot)
    [​IMG]

When I'm viewing that very same email in FF, the attachments are not in view...

[​IMG]

Next...

Notice in the images above that I have a draft saved. When I try and load that email to continue the draft, here is the error that Yahoo give me. Also, I tried to click on the 'Switch to Plain Text' feature, nothing. It won't react. Notice how I don't have any of the rich text tools; they did not load either. When I try and delete the 'Re:' in the subject line, neither the 'delete' button or the 'backspace' button will remove text.

[​IMG]

So, different desktop machines, different locations, different operating systems, different Yahoo mail accounts. Thee only common thread is that they are using FF 18.0.1 and trying to navigate Yahoo mail.

What could be causing Yahoo Mail to be inoperable from either computer's browser?

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Have you tried running Firefox without add-ons?

I'm still using Yahoo Mail! Classic in all of my accounts. I just hate the new version.

As a test, you could try reverting to Classic?

If you wish, I can tell you how to do it.

3. CoRoMo

CoRoMo Thread Starter

I know of a way to revert to classic, but I don't want to have to manually enable java when I'm elsewhere on the net.

Can you tell me how to insert a link and how to use rich text while using classic?

4. Phantom010

You don't need Java to revert to Yahoo! Mail Classic.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    After an add-on I would suspect a security application. Any in common between the two systems?

6. Phantom010

Here's how I revert to Yahoo! Mail Classic:

You need to trick Yahoo into thinking you have an old version of Internet Explorer 6, which is not supported by Yahoo! Mail anymore.

Download an extension for Firefox called User Agent Switcher.

Just install it and select Internet Explorer 6. Return to your Default User Agent String when done (in your case, Firefox).

[​IMG]

Open Yahoo! Mail and you'll get a message that your browser is not supported and will prompt you to upgrade your browser to newer versions of Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari.

[​IMG]

Use the second link to go back to the previous version and you'll get the old Yahoo! Mail Classic back for good.

Once done, you don't need to stay in Internet Explorer 6 mode. Just go back to your original User Agent String and enjoy your good old reliable Yahoo! Mail Classic again. (y)

7. CoRoMo

CoRoMo Thread Starter

Both using FF 18.0.1 configured identically (add-ons, etc.)
    Both using AVG Free 2013

8. Phantom010

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    does it happen with IE?

10. CoRoMo

CoRoMo Thread Starter

No. Just FF.
    Slap me! That did it.

I have two add-ons; Ad Block Plus and Ghostery.

So one of those was doing this.

11. Phantom010

Disable Adblock Plus for Yahoo! Mail only and try it again.

12. CoRoMo

CoRoMo Thread Starter

Ghostery is causing it.

13. CoRoMo

CoRoMo Thread Starter

So the way I configured Ghostery was to check every item in the 'Blocking Options'; all the 3pes and all the cookies...

[​IMG]

14. CoRoMo

CoRoMo Thread Starter

Obviously since I chose to block everything, I'm inadvertently blocking the features in Yahoo mail. Off the top of your head(s), which one of those might be blocking the features in Yahoo mail?

15. Phantom010

Try the Widgets.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086596

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice