1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Mysterious Source of BSOD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NIKEZ, Apr 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NIKEZ

NIKEZ Thread Starter

I've been having blue screens whenever I play highly intense games such as ARMA 2 and Battlefield 3, and also when I edit and render videos. At first I suspect a problem with the graphics card. I sent it back to ASUS, but they did not find anything wrong with it.

I've conducted a memtest for my RAMs, and they all seem perfectly functional. I've also scanned my hard drive for failures but to no avail.

I have tried updating the graphics card drivers, and then I have tried uninstalling it and installing an older driver. I updated the drivers for the motherboard. None of that worked.

What else could be the problem?

Minidump Files:
    https://drive.google.com/folderview...FxWnJjRGRkc3FrY0JRem9QbTkxN0RrVlE&usp=sharing

My Rig:
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 ASUS
    AMD FX-8350
    32GB DDR3 RAM
    ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard

Thanks in advance.

2. Frost_WD

Frost_WD Western Digital Representative

Hi NIKEZ,

You have done some good troubleshooting so far :). I would suggest completely removing your video drivers and installing the new once after that. It might be a long shot but, is worth a try.
    Other than that, could you take a look in resource manager and see if you are hitting 100%? Also a screen shot of Windows event viewer from the time of a crash would be helpful. Also, do tell us if you have some flutters or anything of that sort before the system gets a BSOD.
    Another thing that is quite simple would be to check your motherboard for burn marks and reset your COMOS battery (once you remove the battery hold down the power button to remove any charge that might be left). That too might be a long shot, however, is easy to check and could help.

P.S. Could you tell us what error code did you get when the system had a BSOD, your temperatures and run a CPU test?

Keep me posted,
    Frost_WD

3. NIKEZ

NIKEZ Thread Starter

Hello beautiful person! Thanks for the reply.

I went ahead and ran a stress test on my CPU, and to my surprise I had a blue screen within a minute. So it is now certain that the source of the blue screen is CPU-related. I will make sure the heatsink and fan are installed correctly all the while keeping an eye out for burn marks on the motherboard. Will also check the thermal paste and make sure it hasn't dried out yet. I think the fan may need to be replaced because it is quite old.

Thanks for all the help! Much love.

4. Frost_WD

Frost_WD Western Digital Representative

Hi,

Glad I could help :)

Best of luck,
    Frost_WD

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The fx8350 does run a little warm. I have one in one of my own systems. If you are going to game, do video rendering, or overclock, you need a high performance cooler. I use and recommend the coolermaster 212 series. I have 4 systems running coolermaster 212s [all overclocked] and they run in the low to mid 30s under normal load and up to 55C or so when running prime95.

Note these are not the easiest things to install [you must pull the mb] and they are quite large however their performance is excellent.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

6. jamesx121

jamesx121

helo NIKEZ :::
    you have probably figured out your imitate problem.
    U mentioned dried out thermal paste & old fans----
    sounds like U used a former computer case when U installed your new parts----
    your spec list didn't say what Case or PSU you are using ???
    to solve heat problems in the future
    here is one of the better --cheaper Cases ,,,,has removable hard drive cages---for improved air flow
    is designed as a Gaming Cases
    CoolMaster HAF 912 Midsize Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=PPSSBGDRYLXVJN-_-11-119-233-_-Product----- 59.99$$$
    its 9 inches wide so a tall CPU Cooler should fit.

here is the Cpu Cooler I'm buying next
    Noctua 15
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608045 ----99.99$$
    Noctua's web-site has a compatibility page to see if it will fit your motherboard
    with any problems

its expensive but here is the Case I'm buying next
    Corsair Graphite full size
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139055 ----179.99$$$
    what PSU are U using ???
    James
    from everything I can find out Noctua 14 & 15 are overtaking the EVO 212 CPU Cooler
    in performance.
    only draw back with Noctua is the crappy (literally) color.

7. NIKEZ

NIKEZ Thread Starter

Hello everyone. I need some help again.

I narrowed down the source of the blue screen: something CPU-related; however I am still having trouble determining exactly what the problem is. I checked the heatsink and fan and made sure they were installed properly. The thermal paste I made sure there is still a thin layer of paste. I cleaned the fans of their dust.

After putting my PC back together, I ran Prime95. After about a minute, I received the blue screen again after my CPU temperature heated up to 63C. I changed my CPU voltage to 1.26v, and then to 1.28v. Running my CPU at 1.26v gave me a blue screen after logging in, and running the CPU at 1.28v gave me a blue screen almost instantly when I ran Prime95 -- temperature 43C.

At this point, I am at a lost. I'm beginning to suspect that maybe my motherboard is going out; or perhaps my power supply is dying. I do not have much evidence for neither of the possibilities except for the blue screens. What do you think?

Current Minidump Files:
    https://drive.google.com/folderview...FxWnJjRGRkc3FrY0JRem9QbTkxN0RrVlE&usp=sharing

Additional Hardware Information:
    CPU FAN: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; Averaging 1500 RPM (Had this for about a year)
    PSU: OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS-B 700W (5 years old)

My motherboard, CPU, and GPU are about 1.5 years old.

Thanks in advance.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you clean ALL parts and apply new thermal compound? If not, that is most likely your problem. If you remove a hsf, you must clean all parts and apply new compound.

Have you checked your voltages? If not, do so. Post the following; 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Since you have an asus board, you can download and install asus probe [available on the support page for your mb]

9. NIKEZ

NIKEZ Thread Starter

I have not reapplied the paste after taking off the heatsink. I will get on that tonight.

My voltage values, according to ASUS AI Suite II:
    +12V: 12.097V
    +5V: 5.121V
    +3.3V: 3.288V

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Those voltages are fine. When you reinstall the 212, make sure it is placed so the fan blows air toward an exhaust fan. You do not want to blowing air back toward the center of the case.

11. NIKEZ

NIKEZ Thread Starter

I reapplied thermal pasting to the CPU, and took up your advice on checking the fans; and I found out that my CPU fan has been installed the wrong way the whole time! For one and a half years, I have not noticed this: I was supposed to have the fan face the inside of the case so that the back-end of it would blow air towards the back of the case. My temperatures are running lower! And I am now able to play high-end games and edit/render videos without a problem.

I still receive blue screens whenever I run Prime95. My power supply may not be giving my CPU enough voltage. For now, that does not bother me, so long as I can play games and edit videos I am fine.

Thanks for everything guys! Much love!

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome. The incorrect orientation of the fan is a common problem. I once took apart one of my own systems for an upgrade [and bare in mind I built it] My first thought was what idiot put on the hsf??? Oh yes, it was me :):)

Check your voltages while running prime95. If you see the 12V rail dropping or going up and down, you need a new pw supply. Just a thought however have you tried disabling the turbo boost for the cpu in the bios? If not, do that and again run prime95 to see if you still get bsod.

The 8350 is not a good overclocker [at least the one I have is not] I was barely able to get it to 4.4gig with a pretty good increase in vcore. I finally got mad at it and replaced the 8350 with a 4350 that clocks to 4.8 with no problems at all [same mb, ram, and pw supply] It might be that my 8350 was one of the very first ones mfg however I was never impressed with it very much. The 4350 [which was all of $94 at the egg] easily out performs the 8core cpu.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!