1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: mysterious zip folder found on desktop

Discussion in 'General Security' started by skyfox, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skyfox

skyfox Thread Starter

I noticed a new zip folder called "Terms-and-ConditionsMemo.zip" containing 4 files in it. The folder was mysteriously placed as an icon on my windows desktop. Looking for general advice now, not specific virus removal instructions. FYI, OS is Windows XP SP2 & use KIS2010. Qu 1) Could I have unleashed malaware (hope Im using this term correctly, I want it to apply to virus, worms, trojans, etc) by just opening folder to see what files were in it? I did not unzip it. This was after I ran full KIS scan which did not detect any threats. As I did not recognize any of the files, I decided to quarantine the folder via KIS. 2) Does quarantine prevent malaware from doing anything? 3) Did I need to quarantine each file or the folder is enough? I no longer see the folder on my desktop and do see it in the quarantine list. 4) What additional steps should I take at this point? As to where it came from, the only things I have done different lately is a) connect via usb a new Iomega memory card reader/writer. Iomega denies they sent this folder. b) use the card reader to download photos from my camera's memory card. I have never used the card in another place and the camera was bought new and the sandisk was bought new and separately. this was the first time I read the card. c) downloaded pdf files sent to me from a work associate. I did not think to scan them first, as it was coming from a reputable company, but then again, I dont know what may have infected their system. From now on I will scan each pdf, etc. before downloading, but for now, what should I do? thanks for any advice. Im thinking it somehow came from the pdf I opened in email, (which I never did before this week!).

2. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

right click the folder, & depending on what your antivirus program is, may have the option to scan the folder for malware etc. if not, download malwarebytes antimalware & scan the folder, or basically... delete the folder & run your antivirus program for a full scan.

3. skyfox

skyfox Thread Starter

Thanks wtxcowboy. What is the website for downloading that program (so I know Im not downloading a scam version) and do you know if that conflicts with KIS2010. I've always been tempted to try out the other antimalware programs I see on the forum, but KIS seems to recommend not using any other antiviral software with theirs. FYI, KIS left me a message today saying it scanned quarantine and file was not detected as malicious and that I could use. However, maybe its a false negative and I have no reason for it, as I have no idea where it came from and I haven't been blocked from doing anything I want. Is it really all gone just by deleting it? Do I need to empty trash can to really get rid of it for good? thanks again.

4. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

if you look in the security forum here, you will find links to many good programs, including malwarebytes antimalware. it's not an antivirus program, is for malware which is different in many aspects. or you can find it at majorgeeks.com as well. i use it daily to keep my new computer safe. i opted to go with the paid version, but you can use it for free as well. if kis scanned it & declared it not suspicious, why not open it just to ease your curiousity? i would lol. but if you delete it, & then empty your trash can, it's gone for good unless it's been unzipped & opened etc. so have you installed any programs lately that would warrant you to read terms & conditions? send it to me in an email & i'll open it lol :p

5. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

6. skyfox

skyfox Thread Starter

Thanks wtxcowboy, No. I haven't installed new software, but i did install new hardware, iogear 56-in-1 memory card reader/write the same day I noticed new folder. I contacted their support dept and Iogear denies its theirs. I dont think I unzipped it, but you tell me. I did open the zip folder (I think via right click) to look at the file names inside but I never initiated an unzip sequence. BTW, what do you recommend for unzipping files, I've only done that once in my life with free trial version of WINZIP. thanks again.

7. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice