1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Naming column headings in Excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Raised Grain, Sep 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Raised Grain

Raised Grain Thread Starter

Can I rename the column headings in Excel? I was able to insert the name of each column in the first row and then freeze that row which works for now but I would like to insert a name at each column heading so when the data base is printed I don’t have that A,B,C column heading showing. I do want the row numbers printed though.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

I am using Excel 2003 for these instructions ...

In File -> Page Setup -> Sheet Tab there is an option to print the Row and Column headings. You do not have the option to select just row or just column headings. However you can always add a new column on the left side of the chart and autofill it with sequential numbers. Then uncheck the box for printing Row and Column headings.

3. Raised Grain

Thanks. I thought of doing that but I thought, just maybe, Excel would have a way to do it.

4. Raised Grain

Just a thought. Is it possible to rename the column headings? Such as "A" renamed to "whatever".

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

Not as far I know (which is somewhat limited :D ).

Is there any reason you don't want to put your "whatever" column headings in row #1 and then have them print on every page? If you go into the Sheet tab in Page Setup, you can select which rows and/or columns get repeated on each printed page.

6. Raised Grain

That's exactly what I have done. I inserted the column headings I want in row one and then froze that row to follow the scroll down to enable to see the headings as I scroll down. It's no big deal really. I'm an old man trying to keep the grey matter working. I believe in the old axium, "use it or loose it". Thank you anyway. I will use your advice and insert another row at the front of the database and using the frozen row and the new first column of numbers will accomplish what I'm after.

7. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Nope. No can do. You are correct. (y)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/621276