1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Native Resolutions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sherry22160, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sherry22160

Sherry22160 Thread Starter

Just how important is it to run LCD Monitors at there Native Resolution.

My PC has Integrated Video and I want to buy a 20" LCD.The Native Resolution is something like 1640 X 1280 but the Onboard Video does not support this exactly.I can get 1600 X 1200 from the Integrated Video.
    I believe I should be OK but.............

Is this going to give me Blured or Uneven text on the screen.

Cheers.....Sherry

2. Deathblow

Deathblow

Should be fine Sherry, and that is a strange native resolution, Typical is 1600x1200, 1280x1024, 1024x768, etc.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, the native resolution of the LCD monitor is VERY IMPORTANT if you want decent video! The quality will really suck at any other resolution.

4. Deathblow

Deathblow

I think that depends more on how the scaling is handled. Mine looks great at all different resolutions.

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

As close as she is to "native" I do not see an issue at all. I doubt she will ever even notice it.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Not so on a quality monitor JohnWill. My Viewsonic and Dell's look no different any resolution, and as an ex- pro photographer, I know graphics resolution.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Whatever you choose to believe. :rolleyes: I've tried it on a number of monitors, including a Dell, a Viewsonic, a Princeton Graphics, and the Hanns monitors, all look MUCH better at the native resolution.

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I'm with JW here.

On an LCD, a pixel is a hardware element. If you scale the image by running at other than the native resolution, but still have it stretch to fill the screen, you are asking one pixel to use "1.12 screen pixels" as an example, which of course it cannot do. A pixel on the LCD is ON or OFF, you cannot subdivide one.

Therefore it will dither the image with some on and some off, giving less than the optimum performance. It has no choice.

As to being "acceptable", it may be to some, but not to me. Maybe I am fussier. I have tried it on Viewsonic, Toshiba, HP, CMV. But as it's a hardware issue that uniformly affects all LCD technology, the brand is not likely to make a difference.

In a CRT the sub-limit is the phosphor triad size, above that a "pixel" is analogue and can scale.

9. Sherry22160

Sherry22160 Thread Starter

Ok Guys, Thanks a lot

Just to be on the safe side I will buy a GFX Card and whack it in.
    This will fix it,and besides I am not too confidant the integrated video will push a 20" Wide Screen all that well anyway.

Cheers....Sherry

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Really good idea...

11. Deathblow

Deathblow

Maybe try it, and see how you like it with the built in, but a separate graphics card, as long as it's a decent one, is never a bad idea. I've never even seen the built-in one on this rig, since I bought my Geforce the same day I got the system.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485287

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice