1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Native WiFi Default Profile sudden appearance

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ViaGeorge, Dec 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ViaGeorge

ViaGeorge Thread Starter

I have a Windows 7 64 bit computer that is connected to the internet through an ethernet cable to a 2-wire modem. Other computers at my home are connected wirelessly but I am not. I do have a NetGear print server and connect wirelessly with it to a printer. I am suddenly getting the notification "Native WiFi Default Profile Connected" even though I have been running the computer for a year without ever seeing this.

Is the wireless USB connection over-riding my ethernet connection? and is it possible to revert to having the ethernet connection be dominant? I prefer the ethernet connection for speed.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The Default Profile is from the wireless utility and which your connection and connected.

Both connections can go at the same time and I'm pretty sure the Ethernet will be priorty due to the speed. If you don't want to use the wireless, you can disable it in Control Panel.

EDIT: Just notice that you need the wireless for the print server. You should be able to remove the wireless settings in the wireless utility to prevent it from connecting, or at least tell it not to connect automatically.

3. ViaGeorge

ViaGeorge Thread Starter

Thanks, I was wondering how I would still use the printer with the wireless disabled. Do you mean I would need to reconnect whenever I need to print?

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It depends as most printers have their own wireless connection (adhoc) so you are going to it directly. Is the printer on your wireless network (as in you entered your wireless information into the printer)?

5. ViaGeorge

ViaGeorge Thread Starter

The wireless information is entered into the printer from the front panel of the printer.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Which printer model?

7. ViaGeorge

ViaGeorge Thread Starter

It's an HP 6400 series All-in-one and I'm glad you asked that, it reminded me why I had a print server in that place in my house. I used to have a non-wireless printer there and needed the print server for that. Since I have another non-wireless printer on another floor I will move the print server down there and wirelessly connect the two computers that are now connected to it by USB cable and ethernet cable (I hope anyway!) Thank you so much for your help!

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    (y) no problem

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1080647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice