1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Nav 2005 ?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Money Pit, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    Actually I have 2 questions:
    #1 Does anyone know of any problems (bugs) in Norton Anti Virus 2005?
    #2 Is it worth the extra expense of getting NAV 'pro' over the standard one? How is 'pro' different? Thanks :) Dave

2. Bman

Bman

Sorry haven't used Norton A/V 2005. I looked around the Symantec site and couldn't find a 'pro' version for a/v 2005. I know when I had Norton a/v 2003 pro, it included two licenses so it could be used on two different computers. Only thing I saw similar was for 2005 they're offering a 'Home User' pack and you can get 3-5 licenses. If you haven't purchased Norton yet... look here: http://www.nod32.com/home/home.htm
    I used Norton a/v for years, but after trying several a/v programs (Panda, McCaffee, AVG, etc) I switched last year to NOD32. It's an excellent program, fast, lightweight and very effective. Definitely worth your consideration.

3. BillC

BillC

Before you install NAV 2005, do a search on this forum using the search tool and you will find some users have had problems. Then again, we normal only see problems here. I use NAV 2003 and keep my license current for new virus definitions, but have chosen not to move to NAV 2005. Anyway, that's my view.

4. jdemnyan1116

jdemnyan1116

I have used norton antivirus and firewall for 4 yrs. Never had a problem, kept my computer clean. It is a resource hog but after reading all the different people and the different av's our there, Most of them if they have a problem with a virus or worm sent them to the symantec website for removal. My daughter has trouble with Norton Internet Security 2005. She upgraded of the internet and it caused a lot of troubles. I use the disk every year, no problems yet. My opinion.

5. TOGG

TOGG

As BillC said, there seem to be a lot of posts from people having problems with the 2004/5 versions of Norton products, but that may be the result of the activation requirement.

It is difficult to draw any conclusions from this, since the satisfied users don't post and, if hundreds of thousands of people install a program, some problems are bound to emerge.

When NAV 2003 lost Support last September, and my subscription fell due soon afterwards, I switched to NOD32 and am happy with it so far. I don't miss having to d/l over 5MB of definitions from the Intelligent Updater over my slow, dialup, connection (because I was too paranoid to wait for the weekly Live Update).

6. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    Thanks to: Bman,BillC,jdemnyan1116 and TODD :)
    WOW all senior members ?:)
    Thanks for your input and comments, I agree with you all. No matter what people put into their PC's, there's bound to be problems.
    I've heard of an issue with Zone Alarm and NAV 2005, which was resolved by changing ZA to Norton Firewall. I'm not sure I'd want to do that as I've always used the free version of ZA and it passes Steve Gibson's test when past versions of Norton Firewall wouldn't.
    Anyway, I'm currently using NAV 2003 Pro and it works GREAT, so I think I'll continue using it for 2005. Thanks for your feedback and comments :) Dave

7. KLR

KLR

I was running NAV2003 and decided to buy NAV2005 this year when subscription came due. Actually use NSW2005.
    NAV2005 will uninstall 2003 for you, so you do not have to go through the sometimes difficult uninstall problems.
    No problems encountered.
    The small problem with Zone Alarm shows up in WinXP SP2 Security Center - where Sec Cen sees Norton worm protection as a firewall and hence reports 2 firewalls.
    Solved this by disabling NAV worm protection - Sec Center now shows Zone Alarm as my Firewall. Zone Alarm covers that worm stuff anyway, I believe.

Money Pit, it's a toss up between renew 2003 or go to 2005.
    Symantec supports 2005 and not 2003, but that may not be an issue.
    My decision fell to 2005 because I could get 2005 cheaper than the renewal of subscription cost for 2003.
    Ken

8. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    KLR: Thanks for your comments. Support for NAV 2003 has never been an issue as it has worked flawlessly. :) Dave

9. golddust

golddust

Guess they haven't sent you the e-mail yet, but support for NAV 2003 is discontinued. After getting that notification, I went ahead and got the 2005 edition - which played havoc with my computer. Waiting for my refund now. Using AVG now and no problems.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/316833

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice