1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] NEC SS 870 Printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lowrider, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lowrider

Lowrider Thread Starter

My printer just stopped working. When I select the printer from the Start button, and right click the printer icon, I get a message in red on the left panel which says "User intervention required". I have contacted NEC, but no response yet. I tried to reinstall the printer driver, but that didn't fix the problem. Do I have to remove the driver completely and reinstall it? If so how do I do that?

2. slipe

slipe

The driver is hopefully in add/remove programs in control panel – Start>settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs. You might also have to remove the printer in the printer folder to have it redetected if the instructions have you install the driver at the new hardware found prompt. Parallel or USB?

3. Lowrider

Lowrider Thread Starter

Parallel

4. Lowrider

Lowrider Thread Starter

Just a follow-up. There is a small window, a monitor for the printer which says it is connected to COM1. Isn't it supposed to be LPT1? I can't find any reference to LPT1 in the device manager. Any suggestions?

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Try adding new hardware to see if windows will pick the LPT port back up again....if not, try selecting hardware yourself.

6. Lowrider

Lowrider Thread Starter

I tried that but when it came to the
    Configure Port window, there is no reference to LPT1.

7. ~Candy~

You went to add new hardware, you didn't let windows find it automatically, you chose to install a printer port and followed thru.....I'm not following what configure port window you are speaking of.....

8. Lowrider

Lowrider Thread Starter

When I selected add new hardware, there was no reference to the printer. When the Add New Hardware wizard came up, there was just two big yellow ?s.

When I selected the printer from the Start/Settings menu and checked the printer properties, it was set to COM1. When I selected the drop-down menu, there was no reference to LPT1, just the COM ports.

9. ~Candy~

We are trying to install an LPT port....forget about the printer for right now....if you don't have an LPT port in the device manager, the printer isn't ever going to find it.......

Go to add new hardware and try to install a printer port.....

Don't let windows find new hardware, find it yourself.

10. Lowrider

Lowrider Thread Starter

Done that, when I get to the configure port window in Add Printer Wizard, there is no reference to LPT, only COM. Could it be a BIOS problem?

11. ~Candy~

Ok, just so I'm following you correctly, these are the steps you have taken:

Start button, settings, add new hardware, you chose printer port, did windows happily find one? Does anything now appear in the control panel/system/device manager for an LPT port?

If not, in the bios setup you'll be looking for an entry to enable LPT1.

12. Lowrider

Lowrider Thread Starter

There is nothing for LPT. How do I enable one using the BIOS?

13. ~Candy~

When the computer is restarting, there is a key to press to enter the bios setup, most often it is the DEL key, Compaqs F 10, other computers F 1 or F 2.....if you can't get into the setup with one of those, post the brand/model of your computer and someone can assist.

Once there look for parallel port and make sure it's enabled.

14. Lowrider

Lowrider Thread Starter

I can get into the BIOS by using the ESC key, but it won't pause long enough for me to see what is happening. I can see that it lists a number of things that it 'sees' when it gives a list...

FOUND ...
    FOUND ...

but as I said it won't stop so I can modify the appropriate setting

Any suggestions?

15. ~Candy~

That is not the bios setup, you are only 'seeing' behind the windows splash screen....you've got to figure out what key to press to enter the setup.....it will stand still for you, once you get in......

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65880

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice