1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] NEC SS 870 Printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lowrider, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lowrider

Lowrider Thread Starter

After a number of unsuccessful attempts, I found the manual for my mother board which gives the DEL key as the entry to the BIOS. The parallel port is DISABLED. So do I enable it, save the settings, exit, and try to add a printer to the parallel port LPT1?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Yes, enable it, save changes. When windows restarts, it should find new hardware.....may or may not ask for the windows install cd......then go to device manager and be sure it's listed there with no exclamation marks or error messages, then give the printer install another try :)

3. Lowrider

Lowrider Thread Starter

Ok, went into the Power Management Setup of BIOS and enabled the parallel port under the **Reload Global Timer Events ** and exited with save. When I rebooted the computer there was no prompt or indication that there was a new device. I selected the Add New Hardware option on the Control Panel. I followed the instructions that the Add Printer Wizard gave me, but when it came to the window where I select a port, the LPT1 was not listed, only COM ports. One note, before I edited the BIOS, I used the DOS printscreen feature which worked fine. It also worked after. Any further suggestions?

4. Letterman

Letterman

I'm trying to remember how this works, but you may have to remove your printer and ports from your registry and then reboot.

Something to that effect. Acacandy may know.

And may I say that Acacandy is sure a kind, patient person.

Letterman

5. ~Candy~

That's a strange sounding heading to find the parallel port under....are you sure? Can you take another look around...there should also be info on com ports.

6. Lowrider

Lowrider Thread Starter

The only other information I can find on the parallel port is on the Integrated Peripherals page. It has the following:

Outboard Parallel Port: 378/IRQ7
    Parallel Port Mode : SPP

I can find no specific reference to the COM ports on any of the pages, i.e.

COM1: ....
    COM2: ....

etc.

7. ~Candy~

That's it! It appears to be enabled already....are you sure it's not showing up in device manager? Maybe under 'other' with an exclamation mark?

8. Lowrider

Lowrider Thread Starter

There is one entry under Device Manager

? Other Devices
    ? Unknown Device
    ? Unknown Device

9. ~Candy~

Go ahead and remove whatever is listed under unknown devices....then restart the computer.....see if windows will pick up an LPT port.

And another thing just crossed my mind....we're for absolute certain this is a parallel printer correct?

10. Lowrider

Lowrider Thread Starter

Yes, this is a parallel printer. The connector to the printer is 36-pin. I tried what you suggested. No success. Downloaded drivers from NEC. No success. Thanks for your help. I have learned a lot. Maybe on Monday, I'll take it in to the shop where I bought it and let them have a look at it. When I find out what the problem was, I'll let you know for future reference. Thanks again.

11. Lowrider

Lowrider Thread Starter

When I tried to access the Windows help files on the Start menu, the file was missing. I had a hunch that maybe some other files were missing. I reinstalled windows after which I was able to find the LPT1 and reinstall the drivers. Everything is working fine. Now if I can find which of my kids messed things up.......

12. ~Candy~

Sorry, can't help you with that! :D

Thanks for letting us know how you fixed it....I'll mark it solved!

Have a great evening!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65880

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice