1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Necessary???

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by floppygoat, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. floppygoat

floppygoat Thread Starter

Littered throughout my C: are hundreds of files (.bin, .tlb, .cva, .config, .iss, etc.), marked by a blank white icon, which will not open. If you attempt to open them, it is suggested that you use the web to find the appropriate tool to veiw the file. Are these files important, or can I delete them from my C: without consequence? Please make sure replies are 100% correct. I will appreciate any help.

2. nessyguin

nessyguin

There's no way any of us could know and advise you on this . Even if you gave the ffilename along with the extension that might indicate the application that loaded the file to your HD but we have no way of knowing if the application is still installed or if it is a common file that was left by an uninstalled application because it may still be used by another , still installed , program ...

Sorry this is of no help to you . Possibly a utility such as Ccleaner might be of some use but I think you'd need to be cautious in the use of any cleanup utility ...

3. floppygoat

No, this was of help to me. I had deleted them initially, but soon restored them. I only deleted the ones I was sure were associated with programs I no longer had. However, for the majority, I rather be safe then sorry.

Would you recomend any cleaning sofware?

4. Hughv

Hughv

You can open any file with Notepad, and you may find some useful clues that way.
    Easy Cleaner has an "Unnecessary files" cleaner that has never failed me, but you might be better off just ignoring this problem. I doubt you'll save much space, but you could do serious damage.

5. ferrija1

ferrija1

They're not important………unless you expect your computer to boot every time you press the power button.

But, on a more serious note, you really don't want to mess around with any of those system files, let alone delete them, they're important. ;)

6. floppygoat

Ok, trust me, I am not going to mess with them, but is there any way of telling if a file is no longer in use?

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

No, there's no definitive way to tell. There are some uninstall utilities available that claim to remove additional traces of a program that Windows might not catch. I would still be cautious.

8. floppygoat

Will easy clearner remove all duplicate files, such as music file copies, which may want to be kept, or only certain ones? Also, will it remove back up files which are responsible for restoring computer?

9. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Personally, I wouldnt mess with the files, and I wouldnt clean them. It only takes one little delete by mistake, or something in new software that the cleaner doesnt know about, to wreck a program, or even windows.
    Just my opinion, but I would really not bother with the files unless everything is so full it will make a difference. If thats the case, I would go for a new drive ( int or ext), and a good back up.

10. TOGG

TOGG

There's a thread somewhere else at TSG where someone allowed a utility to remove some 'duplicate' files, and had no end of problems as a result.

When I had Windows 98 I used a cleaner of some sort to look for duplicate files but was so confused by the information produced that I left them alone, probably wisely. Unless these files are occupying a significant percentage of your hard drive, I would leave them well alone.

11. floppygoat

Thank you everyone, I will leave them alone. My notebook is in no need of a significant clean up or unintential failure.

12. Codiah

Codiah

download PCdecrapafier and CCleaner, using both of those programs will clean you registry and files that have no association with your computer anymore, such as files left behind by old programs that are no longer there.. if they dont remove them, i would leave them be...

13. ferrija1

ferrija1

Please don't go near your registry. Just don't.

14. Hughv

Hughv

Easy Cleaner does a fine job with "Unnecessary" files, and you can't go wrong with that feature.
    Duplicate files are entirely different, and you've heard all you need to hear about that.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!