1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need a little info?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by d19r59m, Dec 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. d19r59m

d19r59m Thread Starter

Just recently my PC, an older Gateway stopped working and it is not worth repairing. However I am thinking about using the Dell Auction site. http://www.dellauction.com/cgi-bin/n...554&MoreSubs=Y
    Any way I have been watching the bidding and am wondering if it is worth it. I am thinking of bidding on a Dell OptiplexGX620/SMT 2800 or 3200Mhz 1024MB memory 80GB HD CDRW/DVD 10/100 NIC. 8,32,or 124MB of Video Ram. There are several different ones to bid on and the price range has been from $97 to $158. Now I understand the faster the processor the higher the bid is going to be. I'm having a hard time understanding why the video ram is affecting the bidding so much. Could someone please help me understand why the video ram is so important, when the hard drive already allocates so much space for video memory? Thank you in advance.

2. BruinBeer

BruinBeer

Ok, first I don't recommend bidding on 2nd hand pc's because normally you sit with some crap on your hands.
    Now, the space on the hd is not that kind of video memory. The bigger the harddrive the more videos you can store on it, but, that video ram refer to the onboard(or maybe pci/agp/pci-e card) videocard/graphics. On that old stuff there the bidding will probably go higher for the more video ram because someone is hoping it will be great for a gaming pc. . . But yes. . .

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    BruinBeer is on the right track, What you end up with when buying from an auction has no gaurantee with it. You might end up with a something best suited for holding a door open. You can however go looking at buying a refurbished computer from many sites. I believe Dell is one of them. You will save some money from the New Price, and it will at least come with some sort of Gaurantee.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

I believe you question about the video memory has been answered. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a machine from the Dell auction site, if you find a machine you want at a decent price. Dell Auction is a much safer place to buy a machine than some of the other online auction sites.

Just do your homework on the machine you are interested in by doing a Google search and see if there are specific known problems with the model of the machine you are interested in.

Most of the machines listed will be "off lease" machines that have been used by companies with a support IT staff, and will generally be in good condition.

Many large companies instead of purchasing machines will lease their machines for a period of time from Dell and when the lease expires they are returned, and Dell replaces the machines with new models. The machines that are returned are called "off lease".

5. d19r59m

d19r59m Thread Starter

Thank You for the info. Yes, that is where I have been looking is at the DELL Auction site and they are all off-lease machines that have be refurbished. The models that I have been looking at, the actual manufacturing warranty are usually expired by 2 or 3 months but, they do come with a 30 day warranty. I just wanted to make sure that I understood VRam and that I was buying from a reputable company like Dell was good idea. My old Gateway 700SE was a good running machine but it is at least 7 years old (don't remember the exact purchase date) and being unemployed right now I thought the Dell Auction Site would be a good alternative to fixing the old one or buying a new one. Thank you very much

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/888845

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice