1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: need a new mother board

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by copskid1, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. copskid1

copskid1 Thread Starter

i need a processor with SSE2 instructions but none are available for my mother board. so i would like to find a motherboard that fits everything i already have. that's the simple part. but since my computer is a Compaq Presario (SR1200NX) so it has a lot of extra USB and card reader slots that have extra cords that seam to plug into weird places on the mother board. I was hoping someone could help me find something that fits? i dont know what information to provide but i just want to get the best that i can get with what i have. I just want to upgrade the computer without having to leave empty holes where the panels were.

2. stevecook

stevecook

Have you considered buying a new case as well, that would simplify things for you?

3. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

That computer uses a pretty standard microATX motherboard.
    Problem is you are looking at upgrading the motherboard,CPU and probably
    memory if you don't go with used hardware.
    If you go new hardware you may need to get a SATA hard drive too.
    The memory card reader probably plugs into the USB header on the
    motherboard,which is prety standard on most boards.
    You are probably going to need a better power supply too,especially
    if you plan to add a dedicated graphics card to the system.
    It would probably be just as cost effective to build a new computer.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Add to the above a new retail copy of windows since you cannot change the mb on oem systems and continue to use your existing copy of windows. OEM versions of windows live and die with the original hardware ie motherboard.

5. copskid1

copskid1 Thread Starter

yeah, thats what i thought. i'll just leave this computer the way it is and build a new one from scratch

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1061446