Solved: Need a Windows 7 driver for my printer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Alex Ethridge

I have an HP Laserjet 5 printer and I need to get it working on my newly-installed Windows 7. That driver isn't available from HP and it isn't available in Windows 7's list of printers. Windows Update has been giving me the "try again later" error message since yesterday afternoon.

I know the driver is available from Windows Update because I got it working on a previous Windows 7 installation by downloading an expanded list of printers from Windows Update before.

Now, here's my question: I would like to have this driver in my possession so I don't have to risk this problem again at a later time. Does anyone know where/how I can get it?

The best Driver program I have know is Driver Genius. I love it. If you want to know more message me. This program checks your whole PC and then downloads and update every single drivers of ever hardware piece in you machine.

TerryNet

Terry
If you want to know more message me.
Wrong, bombolinis. We keep all help on the public forum. Do not ask people to contact you privately for help.

... and update every single drivers of ever hardware piece in you machine.
Sounds like a very dangerous program. I wouldn't let something like that on a machine of mine even if it were "free."

Sorry, I did not mean about the message as you have interpreted it.

The program is not free and it is GREAT! And I do not sell it.

Actually the program on first run searches your PC for all the hardware you have install and tell you which ones, then it finds all the updates available for them. Finally it will ask you which hardware drivers you want to download of then ones it finds for you of all that are available for each component's manufacturer.
Then after it downloads, it again will ask you which ones to install separately.
Once you that then anytime you want it will check for current update and usually all you have to do this once every six 9 moths. Or when you install a new hardware.

End of my two cents here. Good bye.

TerryNet

Terry
Thanks for the clarification and additional information, bombolinis.

Alex Ethridge

Thanks for the interest; but, that's for Windows 3x and Windows 95. Quote from your linked page:
Download and install the LaserJet 5P/5MP PCL printer driver for Windows 3.x/95. This is the OEM LaserJet 5P/5MP printer driver only; it does not contain the fonts or printing system. This driver supports both the HP LaserJet 5P and 5MP printers.

Alex Ethridge

I found a way to get the driver; but, it sure was a back-door, convoluted, up-side-down way of getting there. I searched and read parts of about 60 or so web pages and finally found this thread in another forum that had a post at the bottom, which I quoted below.
Hello Alan

thank you so much for your help
I got the driver now installed on the server

Basically its quite easy :

What I did

-copy the HP-Files from a x86 Vist
(\\VISTA\c$\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\prnhp001) to the
server 2008 x64 machin
-open the printmanagement.ms
-open the drivers sectio
-add the x86 driver pointing to the files copied from the vista x8
machin
-add printer on XP 32-Bit via Ip-Adres
and there it is

Thank you :
I went to another of my Windows 7 machines and found the above-referenced folder and copied it to the machine where I needed to use the driver. Windows will not let me copy that folder into the same path it came from so I pointed the "Add Printer" wizard to it and the printer now works fine.

So, if anyone is ever looking for the same driver (not likely on such an old printer) and is getting the same failures from Windows Update that I got for the last two days, you can find it at the above-mentioned path of about any Windows Vista or 7 system on which the expanded printer list has been obtained from Windows Update.

You are so right - I completely misread the dates and OS on that one. My apologies. :D Glad you found it another way.

Mollie

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online