Solved: Need advice on anti-spam mail program for Outlook Express

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MomAries

Banned
Hi everyone, what is in your opinion the best anti-spam anti-phishing mail program?

As I got my new computer from Dell I got their McAfee security center and McAfee anti-spam. Well, I believe McAfee effects Internet Explorer performance, and I also believe is a cause of some mail not delivering to the people. I would like to get something different to replace McAfee (only mail program).

I used to have MailFrontier. It's pretty good , easy to customize. MailFrontier is not cheap - $30 per year. I am contemplating should I purchase it again, or there is another mail program as good, and could be one time purchase, instead of doing yearly membership.

What do you know guys?

Thanks a lot everyone!!!

davehc

David
Retired Trusted Advisor
Maybe, in view of the title, you should be posting in the XP section?

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
This is the Vista forum, and there is NO Outlook Express with Vista. That said, there is Windows Mail, is that what you are using as your email program?

Actually Windows Mail has built in the only effective junk mail filter I have ever used. I have used them all and finally even subscribed to Cloudmark at $39 a year for a while but it sooner or later stopped working also. Whatever the WM junk mail filter doesn't catch you simply right click the email and choose junk mail to block sender domain or address and you never see it again.

MomAries

Banned
Then which forum should I post it in? (sorry about the confusion)

go to www.komando.com. She lists 3 different free (tested) spam filters in her security section. I have used many of her free suggestions with great success. Also listen to her 3 hr radio call in program on the weekends.
Vicks

davehc

David
Retired Trusted Advisor
It isn't a problem MomAries, just a couple of us sticking to protocol! But now there is a little misunderstanding. If you really do want ti for Outlook Express, then it would have been better to post in the Windows 200/NT/XP Forum... my comment, followed by DaveA is that however, if your request is for the mail program in Vista, then OE does not exists in that OS and the request should be for Windows Mail or, if you have updated it, Windows Live mail.
Also take note of Rich-M's post, which is very valid. Microsoft do try to put all the essentials into the one OS - that is one of them.
P.S. Maybe you are not aware of it, but most ant virus progarms, if you want to go down that road, have spam filters also, as an option. I am sure you would have many different opinions on that in these pages, but I have always used the free release of AVG. Heeding Rich -M's comment again, I usually elect not to install the mail filter. (In vista!)
On a side not, something all ISP's should be encouraged to try. My ISP filters my junk mail for me. We are given a link to our ISP mail delivery service, so that we can, at any time, inspect for any mail which should have come through. In two years of use, in spite of pretty well filled ISP junk boxes, I have never yet found any mistakes.

It said that SpamBayes does not work with Outlook Express:confused:

Still not sure which program you are using, but Spam Bayes does work with Outlook Express, quite well. The website states it does, but it says not tested for Windows Mail .
They are giving you some good suggestions if your using Windows Mail :)

MomAries

Banned
It isn't a problem MomAries, just a couple of us sticking to protocol! But now there is a little misunderstanding. If you really do want ti for Outlook Express, then it would have been better to post in the Windows 200/NT/XP Forum... my comment, followed by DaveA is that however, if your request is for the mail program in Vista, then OE does not exists in that OS and the request should be for Windows Mail or, if you have updated it, Windows Live mail.
Also take note of Rich-M's post, which is very valid. Microsoft do try to put all the essentials into the one OS - that is one of them.
P.S. Maybe you are not aware of it, but most ant virus progarms, if you want to go down that road, have spam filters also, as an option. I am sure you would have many different opinions on that in these pages, but I have always used the free release of AVG. Heeding Rich -M's comment again, I usually elect not to install the mail filter. (In vista!)
On a side not, something all ISP's should be encouraged to try. My ISP filters my junk mail for me. We are given a link to our ISP mail delivery service, so that we can, at any time, inspect for any mail which should have come through. In two years of use, in spite of pretty well filled ISP junk boxes, I have never yet found any mistakes.
I got it DaveHC ... next time I will post it in that section. Now ... here what happened between when I posted it and now ... Here is what I did:
- disabled McAfee mail anti-spam,
- installed SpamFighter,
- uninstalled SpamFighter,
- * defragmenting my hard drive now, *
- decided to restore McAfee's mail anti-spam .. it showed e-mail protection ON ... but I don't see McAfee taking over my Outlook Express. No signs of McAfee in my OE mail. Oh well. Like you said I may not need any anti-spam program at all: ISP may take care of this junk for me.

But I am curious why can I not see McAfee restored in OE ... LOL :confused:

Guys, I want to thank you all for your feedback - very helpful!!!

MomAries

Banned
Just to put final dots over "I's" : I understand the point about OE, and also, my provider I guess made OE mail filter spam etc without any special software involved. LOL

Thanks again everybody. You've been been wonderful helpers..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online