Solved: Need advice on lost connection

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bobobom

Hi Guys

My sister buzzed me on my mobile stating that her IP address myteriously disappeared....and that she cannot get online at all.

I am deaf :-0 so wont be able to commumicate with her via the telephone and she is abt one hour drive away so it leaves me texting her to solve the problems :)

Ok ill get on with it.. I am aware that we need go to Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories| Command Prompt and Type in ipconfig etc, but what I am not so sure abt is what to do next after she run the command prompt and found her IP address there?

Much appreciated and thank you for your time in advance
jackie

bonk

Banned
Howdy,

While in Command Prompt she can type ipconfig /all and press Enter key see that she has a IP address

Then if she has type ping 127.0.0.1 and press Enter key...she should send 4 packets and receive 4 packets.

If her IP address begins with 169.254.x.x, then she is not reaching a DHCP server (which assigns IP addresses.)

bobobom

Howdy :)

So...."If her IP address begins with 169.254.x.x," then what is she suppose to do next?

Im texting her now to pass over your messages...thanks guys

brb

bobobom

back again :)

she tried what you have suggested and c./document and setting keep appearing and it shows no IP address....any idea how to solve this problem please :)

thank you for your time in advance
jackie

Is she trying to connect to a router? . . Modem? . . Wired or Wireless?

bobobom

Hi

She tried everything ....run command prompt.....no luck - no IP address appeared, just c/document and setting keep appearing....

so i suggested her to unplug the power and wait few minutes and then plug it back....and still no luck.

Is there a resolution?

Please :)

When you open command prompt, after Documents and Settings\user name\ there is a > with blinking cursor. Type ipconfig /all (Note: space between g and /) then hit Enter.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online