1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need advice on power backup - UPS/Inverter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elister, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elister

elister Thread Starter

Hi,

I am looking for a backup solution for my desktop computer (read as: tight budget) which can notify through a software interface about time remaining till batteries run out.

I am trying to run a server on this machine which I'm planning to use to give a demo to some parties from remote location. So basically this desktop will be unattended. I have written a small utility to gracefully shut down the server in case of power failure so that it doesn't look as though it crashed :eek:. And this utility needs to read the time remaining till total shutdown from somewhere. So I am looking for a budget backup solution which can provide me this data. (It is doesn't need to log it or so, I'm just happy to scoop it from its process memory if I have to.)

Can you guys suggest any backup-solution or anything which can help me find the time remaining till this desktop shuts down, if running on backup power?

cheers

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

If the UPS does not have a data cable that connects to the PC and software CD, then there is now way to determine this, most APC brand ups's will have this, unless it is a budget model.

3. elister

elister Thread Starter

Thanks. I settled for $300 1200VA APC. It has the all the features I was looking for.

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

You won't be sorry, they build the best consumer UPS's.

You are welcome.

Welcome to TSGF

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/863180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice