1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need Advice : Portable vs Desktop External Hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Canan, Sep 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Canan

Canan Thread Starter

I know this question was asked over 3 years ago but there is always new items being made.

How reliable are external hard drives?
    Is an external hard drive hard to install/setup?
    Can a desktop type be used as a portable if needed?
    Is the external hard drive something I turn on and off when its needed?
    Which one would hold up to frequent power outages?

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

The kind you build yourself are More Reliable/Serviceable .. Get an Enclosure and a good HDD
    They are easy to set up.
    A desktop type can be portable if you have the wall power to run it.
    You can turn On/Off when needed ... But the kind that are pre-made on the store shelves may not have this option (Power Switch)
    They will hold up .. But you may loose files ... if operating when a power outage occurs

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I would go for a laptop 2.5inch based one.
    The 2.5 drive is smaller, lighter, and better able to withstand knocks and bangs.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

If you want reliability from "knocks and bangs" and powerless portability .. and money is not a problem ...
    I'd go with an enclosure and a SSD .. maybe one of These and These

5. Canan

Canan Thread Starter

Is this a portable or desktop?

6. Canan

Canan Thread Starter

Thanks for the information, but I would rather buy one from the store.

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Is
    Well you were asking about portable drives. Also 2.5in drives are used mostly in laptops because of their lower weight, size, resistance to bangs and lower power requirements.

8. Photopilot

Photopilot

Do you travel? If so get a portable one, if not get a desktop one. I have many of each style for different uses. My favorite one is a SATA docking station. It is only good for use at home on the desktop but it allows you to plug in a 2.5 or 3.5" hard drive and use it as an external HD. You can then upgrade HD sizes in the future or buy a spare HD and use it to back up stuff to store somewhere else for added security and redundant backup.

You can also buy some that will work with e-sata or USB 3.0 for fast interface with your computer or one that has two docks so you can back up from one "loose" HD to the another.

9. Canan

Canan Thread Starter

I thank all of you for giving me some answers to my post. I am going to mark this solved. Thanks again.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1107471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice