1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need Advise On Hard Drive Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr-Steve, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mr-Steve

Mr-Steve Thread Starter

I have a Dell Optiplex 170L Mini tower with the following specs :

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2045 Mb
    GeForce 6200 graphics card
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 76245 MB, Free - 31167 MB; D: Total - 76290 MB, Free - 68850 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Computer Corp., 0U2575
    Antec25 430 watt power supply

You can see the complete details here on CNet :
    http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-optiplex-170l/specs/

My Question is this :

I am considering upgrading my Hard Drive to a Solid State Drive (SSD)
    Can I do this ?
    Will it help speed up my internet browsing ? I deal with alot of weather graphics.
    This computer isn't the fastest thing around. So I am trying to upgrade where I can to help speed it up.

Thank you for your help

2. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    It will speed up booting up the computer and loading programs. But I am not sure it will speed up browsing as that depends on your ADSL modem and network speed more than the Hard disk.

3. Mr-Steve

Mr-Steve Thread Starter

Peterh40 ,

That was what I was thinking also .
    The only reason I wasn't sure is because today I was looking at a Weather Radar site , and as the Radar was trying to load I could hear my Hard Drive start speeding up to it's max. So I thought maybe a fast Hard Drive would result in faster loading.

4. replay

replay

harddrives spin at a constant speed............ maybe the cpu fan u are hearing spin up faster because it is dirty and needs cleaning?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The computer is ancient, an SSD won't fix that. Also, the computer doesn't have SATA ports and nearly all SSD's are SATA not PATA/IDE, the few that exist are expensive and slow compared to SATA versions.

Realistically if you want a faster computer then you need to buy a newer system, it's a Pentium 4 and that can't be fixed.

6. Mr-Steve

Mr-Steve Thread Starter

Thanks Triple6 ,

I was kind of thinking that , but have been holding out hope for some kind of upgrade to help me . I guess I will have to start saving for a new PC . This one isn't bad for the $50 that I paid for it. I guess I have just out grown it and need something with more power .

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144723

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice