1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need East Asian Language Support help...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Symber, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Symber

Symber Thread Starter

Long story short, I had a nice functional computer running XP Pro SP2 install where everything worked fine... which I foolishly decided to reformat and put a clean XP Pro SP3 install on. Now that I've gotten most of the little bugs ironed out I'm left with one very annoying little puzzle.

When I choose to enable the East Asian Language pack (which worked before) it installs just fine, but doesn't allow me to display any of the East Asian characters. It -does- however have a very nasty side effect. While the language pack is installed, when I choose to reboot or shut down my computer it takes about 2 minutes - where as with the language pack removed it takes about 10 seconds.

Is there something obvious I'm missing? Its taken me quite a while to find that two problems were connected, but now that I have I feel like its something simple that I'm just overlooking. I really need the asian character support at least for Japanese, but the added shutdown time is really annoying... especially since it still doesn't display the characters. Any help would be greatly appreciated - if there is any other info I should supply, please let me know.

2. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

have you checked the language settings in the "Regional language Options" in control panel i see Asian settings to enable supplements in languages.

close programs running in windows task manager (Applications) tab. before shutdown proceedure.If the programs are running in the tray close any there as well.

3. Symber

Symber Thread Starter

Yeah thats how I was installing (and later uninstalling) the Asian language support. Unfortunately once I installed SP3 not only did this not display the asian characters like it used to, but it also caused the long delay in the shutdown process... once I uncheck the box and remove the support my shutdown process goes back to normal.

Oh one thing I forgot to add in the original post is that when I do check the box to install the support everything looks like it installs fine. All the files copy like its supposed to from the Windows CD to the computer. The same in reverse for when I uninstall.

Also after seeing the tray suggestion I tried again, this time shutting down AVG & my email notifier (the only tray programs I have running all the time) before shutting down after I installed the language support but the results were the same as before.

4. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

5. Symber

Symber Thread Starter

Thanks for the help! I was able to find a solution - everything is working fine now.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!