1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: need help-Asus A7N8X-E deluxe steup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Doh, May 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Doh

Doh Thread Starter

I am trying to work out the kinks with this new mobo.

It is up a working and I am useing it now to post this.

Several issues:

The first issue is that the CPU is defined as being much slower than what I actually have.

I have an Athlon 2800+ and the pc properties is showing me at XP 2200+ 1.66 gig

Second issue: What should be labeled as "Disk C", is labeled as "local disk (I)"

I only have one IDE hard drive in the pc apart fron the two optical drives and they are correctly found and labled as is the floppy.

The date on the bios is later than anything being offered on the Asus site so I am thinking T have the latest bios

2. winbob

winbob

When the Processor speed is too LOW, the problem is generally that the FSB parameter is improperly set. The Default may be 100MHz in the BIOS, and your Chip may require 133 or 166??? I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment, but that is almost certainly the problem.

You can modify the Disk address via Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Disk Mgmt/Actions

3. Doh

Doh Thread Starter

OK, setting the data to 166 solved that problem. thank you for that advice Winbob.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get my hardrive listed correctly as
    drive C instead of Drive I ??

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

If I is where windows is installed you will have to reinstall windows to change it. You would first have to change the drive letter of whatever has C occupied in disk management.

You have to watch XP installs, they take any drive letter not in use and will also try to install on any non OS partition.

5. winbob

winbob

Didn't you read the last line of my original response????

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

It won't matter if I is where windows is installed. Changing an OS drive letter "CAN" be done but not as easily as just reinstalling windows. Every program installed on that drive has a path to I if that is the windows install. :eek:

I'd much rather reinstall windows than to try to figure that mess out. :p

7. Doh

Doh Thread Starter

I read it Winbob but I didn't quite understand it at that time. I do now, thanks....

8. Doh

Doh Thread Starter

I think the reason this issue occured is because I had this multi-card reader plugged into the mobo durring the windows install and the card reader shows up as 6 different removable drives.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yup, those USB card readers always cause this sort of problem. If you want that drive to be drive C then you will need to disconnect the card reader and then reformat the drive and reinstall Windows. You cannot change the drive letter of the system drive easily.

10. Doh

Doh Thread Starter

A clean install did the trick. problem solved

11. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

LOL, from now on I'll bet you'll watch where windows is going. :p

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/364316

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice