Solved: need help choosing graphics card

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bejarano6

I need to buy a new graphics card for my son's computer. We just bought him Dawn of War and Halo for his computer and they won't work. I have no idea what to get. He does not play a ton of games on the computer, but he does play some. I have been asking around and so far some suggestions have been
Radeon 9550
Radeon 9600
Radeon 9600pro

What do you think of these? Also what Nvidea products would compare to these.

If you need to know computers specs:
AMD Athalon XP 2500+, AMD 1832 Mhz
Physical Memory 512 Mb
available 147 Mb
Virtual Memory 2 GB
available 1.96 GB

Someone suggested ordering the card from newegg.com for the best prices. Anyone heard of this site? They seem to have really good prices. I have to stay under $80 and this was the only site that had the better cards in my price range.

Rukee

Banned
newegg is an excellent site to buy from.
Does the computer have an AGP slot??

If you want the card to suit your son's gaming needs for at least two years then I suggest getting a ATi Radeon X800. As for nVidia equivalents to those cards, it's tough, because an FX card would probably not last long. I would suggest a 6600 GT for an nVidia card that is better than the ATi cards you mentioned. Either way, any of those two cards would run Halo and Dawn of War easily and probably at max quality.

bejarano6

For the Sapphire 9600pro you recommended, I saw it is not instock. I don't think my son is going to want to wait around for it to become available again. Would any 9600pro be comparible or did this one stick out because it is Sapphire?

The purpose of the card is just for occasional games. Right now he has Halo and Dawn of War that he wants to play. He is definitely not a serious gamer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online