1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need help inserting in Word

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by R.Fritz, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. R.Fritz

R.Fritz Thread Starter

I am not sure how to explain this but I will try my best. At work we had a form emailed to us in Word. The form is setup with the word Name & then an underlined space that you fill in the name. Several users can open the document and hit their insert key and type in the name over the lined space. One user tried and it would add the letters while moving the rest of the line over and then on next line. I thought maybe the keyboard insert key did not work so I swapped keyboards & that didn't change anything. I then tried it on my PC and mine is acting up also. We have XP Pro PC's on a Windows 2000 server. Some that are working is with Word 97. The one's that are not working (one with Word 97 & one with Word 2003. Any help would be appreciated.

2. ChuckE

ChuckE

I don't think you want to use the <Insert> key at all.
    <Insert> will change your mode of typing.

i.e. Usual mode= you type and the text is inserted at the point where your cursor is.
    Overtype mode=(you will see "OVR" is not dimmed in your bottom Status bar) you type and the characters, at the point of insertion, (where your cursor is) are replaced per each character that you type.

Typically Words docs use a Field to have "fill in your name here" type of stuff.
    You get to those fields by clicking the field (usually shown as gray areas) or you can set your "Browse by" selections to jump to the next/previous field.

3. R.Fritz

R.Fritz Thread Starter

On the PC's that it is working right, if you push the insert button it turns on & off the OVR. How are you suppose to change it?

4. ChuckE

ChuckE

Change what, to do what?
    If you can press the <Insert> key and it changes the state of the OVR in the Status bar, it is doing what it is supposed to do.
    My information was not about how to use your document, but the actions associated with the <Insert> key.

Are the documents, you are using, set up with Fields?
    If so then you simply click in the Field and start typing, that data will go in the Field, and the Field expands, as needed, to accomodate.

If the document is not setup to use Fields, then it really depends upon how the person who created the document as to whether or not you want to use the OVR (Overtype) mode or the insert mode.

You tell me how the document is setup, and you'll be answering your own question.

Still confused? then place an example document here so we can look at it.

5. R.Fritz

R.Fritz Thread Starter

Here is a sample. On one computer the insert key highlights the OVR option and will insert the info you add to the lines. All the other PC's it won't. It moves everything over like you are hitting the delete key. It was done in Word. I don't know why the form wasn't done in Excess which would be more appropriate. Can you easily convert from Word to Excess?

THERAPY SERVICES LOG – SPEECH LANGUAGE PATHOLOGY

RESIDENT NAME _______________________________________RESIDENT HIC NUMBER ___________________________ FACILITY NAME _________________________________________

MONTH _________ YEAR _______ MEDICARE A _____ PART B______ OTHER (Specify)______________________________________ SERVICE DATES From __________ to _________

PHYSICIAN___________________________________________ MEDICAL ICD-9 CODES __________________________________ REHAB ICD-9 CODES _______________________________

DATE OF BIRTH _______________________ ONSET DATE ________________________ START OF CARE DATE _____________________ DISCHARGE DATE _____________________

6. R.Fritz

R.Fritz Thread Starter

I figured it out. While in Word go Tools/Options/Edit-Overtime Mode needs to be checked. This makes your Insert key work making the OVR turn on or off. It appears that you have to do it each time you go into Word.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330952

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice