1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need help mobo replacement on emachine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lovujules, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lovujules

lovujules Thread Starter

I need advice on replacing a mobo,cpu for an emachine t1840. My main question is, it has xp so,,,will i be able to get a new mobo and all and just put the hard drive in without wiping it out? Or having to buy xp cd with new key?

I have done this before with xp hard drive with no problems but not on a company name pc. I was reading where it could be tricky? I have product key if needed. I am buying a case,power supply,mobo,cpu and just using the existing 2/128 ddr ram and cd burner,dvd rom. Need advice on a mobo etc. compatible to make the transition easy as possible. Thanks,,,, ;)

here's spec on emachine:
    # Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
    # Intel® Celeron® Processor 1.80 GHz (w/128KB L2 cache & 400MHz FSB)
    # Intel® 845GL Chipset
    # 128 MB DDR (PC2100)
    # 40 GB HDD 1
    # 40x12x40 Max. CD-RW Drive; 16x DVD Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
    # Intel® Extreme Graphics 3D (845GL shared)
    # 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
    # 56K ITU v.92 ready Fax/Modem
    # AC '97 Audio
    # Keyboard, Wheel Mouse, Stereo Speakers
    # 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 on front), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Mic-In & Head Phone jack on front, Audio-In & Out, 3 PCI slots (2 available)
    # 7.25"w x 14.125"h x 16"d

2. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

3. lovujules

lovujules Thread Starter

okay, thanks, and I went to the link too. Gonna go back and look again. I wanted to buy a barebone kit or one with mobo,cpu,tower,power supply all in one package. Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated. thanks

Once i choose and install will put the results in too for others in same problem.

4. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

5. lovujules

lovujules Thread Starter

Okay, thanks for the info. I just went on and found a pretty good deal and good quality it seems. Plus now they let you figure the shipping out as soon as you put it in your cart. It was 18.81 shipping for this deal:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1272617&Sku=G452-2406 A

I hope the link works, what do u think of this deal? She doesn't need keyboard or mouse or memory but incase u ever need spares right? ha,, Compared to her previous specs i think this might be a good upgrade? But wouldn't mind your opinion? thanks,,,

6. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

It looks pretty good to me but I like intergrated sound (I did find where it says intergrated video) and though it says 'Audio' I can't find anywhere that actually says 'onboard sound'! So I don't think it has it, which means you will have to get a sound card too. But, I once bought a kit from these guys and it's still working to this day -------- soooooo....

7. lovujules

lovujules Thread Starter

8. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

9. lovujules

lovujules Thread Starter

10. brite750

brite750

you do realize that the mobo has no agp slots for upgrading video?

11. lovujules

lovujules Thread Starter

I didn't notice that. thanks,,,There are so many different types. ugh,,,I am spinning here. aha,,,
    She mainly just emails family and does little stuff on her pc. But will take a second opinion if you have one for a mobo/cpu/tower/psu? She wants to spend around 2-250.00? ;)

12. tmikey

tmikey

Hi,

I may be of some help, although I may confuse you. Also, I didn't read all the posts, so someone may have given a similar answer to you.

Anyway, here goes. Find a way to go to Maxtor's website, or probably any dozens of other sites. It doesn't really matter if you have that brand of hard drive. This will be good for you anyway, as you'll have some chance to clean up your Windows install, albeit at the risk of losing valuable files.

When I changed hard drives in this computer I'm using now, I had hoped, to copy XP onto the original disk, and simply copy that onto my new larger Maxtor hard drive.

Well I had some problems that are my own, and you probably won't encounter. But the end result was this, and this is the part which is important to you. I simply zero filled my original disk, and when it had not a lick of information on it after the zero fill, I went back, put my original Packard Bell disc in the CD ROM drive and it thought the new hard drive was the old one, it took the information just fine, and let me proceed to install Windows. And as long as you have the Product Key, you should be fine.

Now, don't take my advice without listening to someone else. I don't know why you are needing a new mb and processor, unless you fried your emachine one. Just make sure that all your peripherals and add ons will be supported by the new mb and BIOS. I don't think the BIOS will be a problem though, if you are buying a new board.

Another thing which I discovered not long ago, in the build of my new computer, which is sitting over here waiting to go into full time service, is:

You can buy OEM discs of whatever Windows software you want, for less than the upgrade price. That's crazy. I don't understand that, but in any case, on this computer, it originally came with Windows 98, and I wanted to upgrade to XP. Well, that cost me some $98.50 if I remember right, plus tax of course. But in the process of shopping, Newegg, Tigerdirect, etc... I discovered you can buy an OEM disc of XP for only something like $89. I put XP onto my new computer this past weekend in mere minutes, thanks to a blazing processor and SATA hard drive, and didn't have to first wait for 98 to load, to start the upgrade and did it at less than the crazy price for the upgrade. The only rule to this OEM software is you have to buy a piece of hardware at the same time. It can be a hard drive, optical drives, pretty much anything that involves building a computer. So certainly a motherboard and or processor will qualify.

Those are just a couple of things which may help you in your decision. If I was of no help, I'm sorry.

Now I have to leave you, to post my own problems to be resolved.

13. lovujules

lovujules Thread Starter

Hi, tmikey and thanks for all the info. Will print it out when the time arrives to use the info. Yes, the owner of the emachine fried the cpu/mobo. Or atleast the cpu. So gonna go all new and then i can use her old mobo/cpu to practice on. ha,,,,
    Thanks alot. Good luck with your problem too. ;)

14. lovujules

lovujules Thread Starter

Hi I am back, I need some help still. I bought the bundle kit in the link below. I have all installed but the ultra memory which won't work , I believe cause i need to overclock the cpu? The easytune won't let me overclock, I go into the bios and multiplier isn't an option. On my other intel with gigabyte mobo,it gives me a times13 but this doesn't give the option. So i dont' know what i have to do? The memory won't work without fixing something with the cpu fsb, I think? I need an expert on overclocking in the bios? Thanks,,,

All else went fine, Even the windows xp re-activation was successful by using a original xp cd and using these instructions by michael stevens:
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Here is link to my purchase:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1272617&CatId=0
    Info on my purchase:
    Great Barebone Deal!
    Gigabyte Mobo, Intel Celeron CPU, 512MB DDR and More
    Here’s exactly what you need to build a solid, all-around system for an amazingly low price! Nothing but world-class components from top to bottom. The versatile Gigabyte 81845GVM-RZ Socket 478 motherboard – one of our most efficient, affordable platforms. A fast, powerful Intel Celeron 2.80 GHz processor. 512MB of blazing DDR RAM from Ultra. A handsome Inland computer case that’s loaded with expandability options. Ultra’s heat-taming aluminum cooling fan. And an attractive, ergonomic AOpen keyboard/mouse combo! This is one of the best barebone deals on our shelves! Hand-picked by our experts to deliver high-performance and reliability. It’s perfect for the system builder who wants to combine quality with economy.

Original mobo website link:
    http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_Spec_8I845GVM-RZ.htm
    Thanks all!! ;)

15. lovujules

lovujules Thread Starter

Memory is now working. Didn't even think it would require to sticks being it was shipped bundled with one 512 ddr. But when i put an old 128ddr stick with the 512 it booted right up and is detecting both sticks. So except for wanting to maybe overclock all is complete and running great!!! So will mark this as solved for others who run into changing an Emachine mobo with xp. Thanks all and glad it's over!!! ha,lol,,,,, ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/362753

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice