1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need help removing GRUB

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by AhrenBa, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Hello,
    I had MEPIS installed on my system and I just used a windows boot disc to format the entire hard drive so that I could take off MEPIS and reinstall Windows 98.

I formatted the whole drive, deleted the partitions, and then reinstalled windows. However, now when I boot, a text line comes up displaying something about GRUB and will not let me continue to windows. How do I completely remove GRUB? Thanks.

2. steven1350

steven1350

there is a certain windows command to do this (needs to be done from the recovery console)
    "fixmbr"

This should re-install the windows boot loader

3. saikee

saikee

Or just use a bootable Win98 floppy with fdisk.exe inside. Boot it up and type
    Code:
    fdisk /mbr
    fixmbr is good if you have a Win2k or XP installer CD. It works too.

4. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Alright, cool! That worked. Thanks for the help everyone, I appreciate it! :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice