1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need help resetting Boot.INI in Safe Mode (with no display!)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by IgnorantDemetri, Aug 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IgnorantDemetri

IgnorantDemetri Thread Starter

So, I ran into an issue that I was told I needed to reboot in safe mode for. I'm using a laptop - and yes, the screen is broken. Nothing but a bright, shattered mess will display. I've been using an external monitor, and it never kicks in until Windows is ready for me to type my password at startup. As such, when trying to start in Safe Mode the traditional way - I could never see what I was doing. So, being oh so smart, I decided to start up regularly and then change boot.ini in msconfig so that the computer would automatically start in safe mode. I assumed that maybe the monitor would kick in after this happened.

Dead wrong!

So...now I'm stuck with the laptop always starting in Safe Mode...and I can't see a thing!. Hitting fn+the monitor key doesn't work at all.

If I could please get someone to help me with the following, I think I can sort it out:

I need to know exactly what the Windows 7 Start Menu looks like after hitting the windows key so I can know how many times to hit the up arrow to get to Search or whatever else I need to type "Msconfig" in, and then I need to know how many times to tab or arrow over in msconfig to access the boot.ini and then change it back to normal booting. I'd be doing it all blindly, but I know with the exact layout and the exact keystrokes I need, I can probably do it.

If anyone could help lead the blind here, I'd be so appreciative. Or...if there's an easier way I'm being way too goofy to see, feel free to lay it out for me!

This is a big big deal to me or I wouldn't be asking. Thank you so much to anyone that will be able to assist.

PS - If you need to know, I'm using a meh inspiring Compaq/HP CQ60-417DX

2. mel8again

mel8again

Hit the windows key and the cursor on mine is already in the search box so type in msconfig and hit enter.
    The box pops up with the General tab and for me boot is right next door but the tab is down the General tab at Selective startup so I have to hit the tab button seven times to highlight the General tab. Now hit the right arrow key once to get to the Boot tab. The large box at the top reads Windows 7 (C:\Windows) : Current os;Default OS. Hitting tab button three times takes me to Safe boot with a button for Minimal, alternate shell, active directory repair and Network. Hitting the space bar will acivate (check mark in the box next to Safe boot) the option and use the down arrow to acivate one to three times to pick any of the options below Minimal. If you don't need anything in the Safe boot option the the fourth tab puts me on a new option called No GUI boot, the fifth tab gets Boot Log, sixth is Base video, seventh OS boot information, eight would be Timeout where you can type in the number of seconds (30 on mine) ninth is Make all boot setting permanent. Withe the exception of the number of seconds they all require hitting the spacebar to activate if desired. Hitting the tab key 12 times from the boot tab will take you to the apply box where you will hit the spacebar or enter key (I don't know because I don't want to change anything on mine). After clicking on Apply you can use the left arrow key twice to go to the OK button.

3. IgnorantDemetri

IgnorantDemetri Thread Starter

It worked! We did it, haha! Many thanks :)

4. mel8again

mel8again

Your welcome.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1012380

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice