1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need help salvaging computer or test software

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ninja6, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ninja6

ninja6 Thread Starter

Hey guys, need help with my computer, here goes:

I have an HP pavillion dv 7 dual core laptop running windows vista

My computer was running laggy for about a week until I got a BSOD reading : IRQL not less or equal
    Since rebooting, I can only get to the screen that has the microsoft loading bar, then when the screen to normally log in to the computer is supposed to pop up, it goes dark except for my mouse cursor and stays that way.

I looked up the code and most people seem to think it's a driver or memory issue. So because I cannot boot windows at all I plugged in UBCD from a hard drive and ran memtest86+ and got 5 passes so it's not memory related. I am now running Vivard, the hdd surface test, and got 7 little squares of red saying they are unreadable but the rest of my hard drive is fine. So basically I need something that I can boot before windows to check drivers or something in the hope that my hard drive can still run and at the very least i can collect the important irreplaceable files on my computer.

Let me know what other information one might need to give advice. Thanks guys

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If the hard drive is indeed failing get a usb sata/ide connector and pull out the hard drive and connect it to another computer. hopefully if the drive isnt completely toast you will be able to salvage whatever it is you dont want lost forever. after getting what you need from the old drive if you can burn it to a cd or dvd so you will have it if ever needed.hopefully a new hard drive will solve the problem.

3. ninja6

ninja6 Thread Starter

The only thing about that is i've tried opening up this laptop before and couldn't figure out a way to access the hard drive. It doesn't really open up to show the hard drive. Ive figured out a way to copy files to a flash drive through the BIOS command prompt (as long as i know the exact file path) which is how I'm saving stuff, but i don't know if i can get the laptop open enough to pull out the hard drive and replace it. Would I be better off just buying a new computer? I don't have money for one and I'll try opening it again but if i can't replace it then am i out of luck?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "pavillion dv 7" narrows the search to over 300 HP products. So I cannot say anything about yours. If it is similar to the one I picked at random and you are following the Maintenance and Service Guide instructions for your model you should be able to remove or replace the hard drive with some care and time.

5. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

Just a suggestion to try if you`ve a mind to, Puppy Linux live cd for trying to collect your data.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  7. ninja6

ninja6 Thread Starter

Sweet thanks guys. I'm downloading puppy linux now and will see what i can save. As for my hard drive, the manual looks like my computer so hopefully the steps will get my hdd out.

8. ninja6

ninja6 Thread Starter

So i downloaded puppy linux and retrieved all my valuable files. But now the question is: after running a surface test there are 7 sectors (or partitions i don't remember) that are unreadable on my hdd. So do i reinstall windows and hope the problem stemmed from a driver in the first place or am i going to have to buy a new hard drive anyway?

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I would go ahead an install Windows and then run disk check (chkdsk /f) multiple times until no errors or the errors look benign. You've definitely received a warning that your hard drive is imperfect, but I wouldn't give up on it yet.

On my two most used PCs I run disk check almost every week, just to be on top of any errors that may crop up, That frequency may be overkill, but you shouldn't wait for the next crash to give your drive a little TLC.

10. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    On most not all laptops once you get the hang of it removing and replacing a hard drive is very easy.i can have it done in about 5 minutes.since all of my laptops now take SATA drives i have a few spares i keep on hand so if one dies im good to go.

11. ninja6

ninja6 Thread Starter

So i ran chkdsk several times and every time it said it found no errors so for the time being it looks like I won't have to replace my hdd. I installed windows 7 (I have the upgrade disk) and its working fine and all my valuables were backed up thanks to puppy linux. But now i have the manual if i need to replace my hard drive. So once again the day is saved thanks to the dudes (and possibly girls) of techguy forums.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086281

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice