Solved: Need Help Selecting a Video Card

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

number2

I am going to be buying a video card soon for my Compac Presario. Im not sure what I should be looking for as far as features.

Also Im not sure what specs I should be aware of for both the video card I will buy, and the motherboard that I have.

Do I need to be aware of bus speeds and stuff like that when considering a video card ?

My motherboard is an ASUS Salmon 1.04 (K8S-LA) with an open AGP, 2 open PCI, no PCIe
Processor - Athlon 64 3300 (Newcastle Socket 754) ~2400MHz
Chipset - SIS 760 GX AMD Hammer
Power - 250 watts I think

Do I need to be aware of different bus speeds and stuff like that when considering a video card?

I am limiting my self to no more than $200 for this but would like to spend around $150 with tax.

All input will be greatly appreciated

SirKenin

Banned
No, you don't need to be worried about bus speed, but good luck finding a decent AGP VGA for that kind of money. There is a huge gap between the low end and the high end now in AGP. You might get lucky at Best Buy. I noticed Future Shop had an x300 for sale, and they are owned by Best Buy now.

Basically all I can recommend is getting the best AGP card you can find for the money, but I don't recommend the FX series of nvidia cards.

number2

Thanks for the links.

Do you think I should be looking at the speed and amount of memory when sizing these choices up.

also do you think I have adaquate power.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
If you are correct that you only have a 250 watt power suply, then ...NO!!! New systems require at the minimum of 350 watts, and much more depending on what hardware you stick into your computer. A single highend video card can draw between 100 to 125 watts. Most are in the 60 to 90 watt range though with low end cards a low as 25 watts. And your CPU uses around 80 to 90 watts. Then you have your RAM, hard drive, optical drives, PCI cards, external devices like USB and PS2 conencted input devices and you can be hitting 400 to 500 watts for a heavily loaded system.

yeah, 250watt, that is really light for a 6600gt or 6800gt, a lot of newer cards have a 4pin molex or similar power connector right on the gfx card it self to supply the extra power they need, if you try to run them w/o enough power i think you'll have problems right off the bat.

number2

I cant find any stats on my current power supply usage or any thing. Isnt there some place in xp like device manager that will list my power components and usage?

Ive also looked through my system info using Everest but have found no listing of power components.

Rukee

Banned
the info will be on a sticker on the side of the power supply. And they`re not always to be trusted either. But list here what it says for the 3.3v, 5.0v and 12.0v rails for Rated amps.

Under normal conditions I would say go for the 6800 but I had an SIS chipset and had problems with all nvidia cards 5200,5700, 5700le and 6800 at 8x if I wanted to run anything newer then the 61.77 driver and many of others on Nzone also have the same issues with all 6 series cards http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=10193
http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/427590-graphics-card-problem-games-needs-moved.html Ati cards ran alot better then nvidia when I had a P4SDX with an SIS 655 chipset. I would go for an ATI card and a new power supply.

number2

this is what the sticker looks like somewhat.

output +12v / 14A -12v / 0.8A
250w Max +5v / 25A +5vsb / 2A peak 2.5A
3.3v / 18A

+5v & +3.5v 165w MAX
+5v & +12v 218w MAX

I suppose it is only 218w.

You'll be needing a new power supply if you want a good card. I don't know if a regular size power supply will fit in your case.

number2

I thought this was a standard case, or that basic desktops were all about the same size.

Here is my dimensions roughly.

14.5" hight
7" width
15.75" length

You will probably be able to get a good PSU to fit in it if it is a standard case. You will want to get a 400- 500 watt PSU with 20 amps on the 12v rail.

number2

Looks like I will have to be spending more money than I had anticipated for this project. When I was shopping around and finally purchased this PC I was really concerned about upgrade ability. I guess that I wasn't carefull enough.

But aside from the power issue, as far as an AGP video card Im alright as far as mobo and stuff ? Should I be looking for a certain amount of memory and/or memory speed given my my cost paramaters ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online