1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need Help To Figure What's Wrong! (PC Dying)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SergioBarros, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SergioBarros

SergioBarros Thread Starter

Hi Guys! It lasted almost 2 years to post again here, and I dont forget because here is so full of people who really are interested in solve computer problems, and these guys here are great, really know what they are talking about. I guessed that I could solve any tech problem with my PC simply by reformatting my HDs and start all over, but not good this time...(n)
    So, all started about a month when WinXP simply freezed up the screen, mouse cursor and the HD Led on my PC was solid red. I remember guessed at the time that was something more serious, because I am very used to get many BSODs (Microsoft's Blue Screen Of Death) per week, and if were nothing more serious, WindowsXP simply would go on check the consistency of one of the discs, pass thru that all ok, and things would continue normal (considering BSODs normal using XP). But not this time. Then I shut down and restarted it and all seemed ok, no prob, and I was using XP normally again. But then the same thing happened again, and again, and again... XP freezing completely, mouse cursor freezed up and HD Led solid red. Then I realized that the time of the freezes was getting closer and closer, till I was not able to enter Windows anymore, and at the start up I got many BSODs varying from Unknown Hard Error (never got this :eek: ) to Unmountable Boot Device. I got so many of these before, that I installed WinXP in my other HD, so that I could, using the other XP, solve the problem with the main one. But again, not this time... The same problem I was getting in the main XP copy, was also happening in the other, till I completely got unable to enter any bootable OS or Hard Drive. I have tried to reinstall windows xp after a full format of one of the discs, and in some point of the process, the same problem again, all freezes up and HD Led solid red. Tried to install XP in both drives after full format, but the same thing again. Tried many times in both drives. After a short research on Internet, I've got even more confused, it could be anything, from bad memory to ruined HDs, or simple as excess of dust inside the case. When I finished cleaning the dust (a lot), then I turned on the system, and more problems arise. A strange noise coming from the HDs, just like the sound they make after shut down PC, but repeatedly, and also the BIOS during these noises that stopped after some time, could hardly recognize both HDs, and only when these noises stopped, they were recognized in BIOS. :confused: I was completely mad at this time, because I tried everything I could to make my PC work again, but not having a clue of what could be was driving me nuts. So yesterday, when I tried again after giving the PC a rest of a few days, I figured out what might be the real problem, and I want the opinion of you guys to know If I am right. I have entered in BIOS settings, and I was looking at the hardware monitor section (not sure what brand of BIOS I have). Then, all fans were fine, but in power setting, the line for +12V were in red letters and showing the value of 9.66 or sometimes 9.60. After this month, I figure that might be my PSU (Power Supply) dying. And I remember when I was using the software for WinXP ASUS Probe to see the same values about 4, or 5 months ago, the same topic +12V showed a value of 11.xx almost never touching 12 at all. Also the graphic showed many variations in the power, never got a straight line. So now, I guess that the PSU now can't provide more power to the system, and it is so bad, that even can't turn the HDs on anymore. What do you think? I need some advice getting a new PSU, in case that this is the problem. Sorry for made you read a book, I type too much... :rolleyes:

My config: Non-Overclocked P4 1.7GHz, 1GB RAM, WinXP Pro, PSU 400W Unknown brand
    MoBo ASUS P4S533, HD 60GB in Primary Master, HD 80GB in Primary Slave,
    both HDs Seagate Barracuda IDE, DVD-RW drive on Secondary Master.
    3 additional fans, 2 air intake (front bottom), 1 air blow out (top of the case).
    PS: Bought in 2001.
    THX in advance!

2. tjamnz

tjamnz

Hello,

If you replace your hdd, power supply, they are both inexpensive now, then reistall, all of your problems should be over. Forget trying to fix the power supply, and its never recommened to attempt it anyways. You might have some bad sectors on your hd too. I wouldnt even boot my pc at this point, as you can dmg components with a faulty power supply. You should be able to do all this for under 100 dollars and a few hours time.

3. bigbear

bigbear

4. SergioBarros

Thanks!
    I have used the Seagate DiscWizard, and trying to do a fresh install of WinXP, got an error that the DiscWizard could not recognize. I wonder if it isn't better to do as Martinez said, not even turn it on until I replace the right things... I just need to be sure that the PSU is the main problem. Then I'd go after new HDs and PSU too. Then I need to be sure of depending of what I have, get the right PSU.

5. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

If it were mine I'd unplug the power and ribbon cables to the hard drives and CD-ROM drives, Power up and see if that value jumps back to +12v, if it does it MAY be an indication of faulty hard drives, or the CD-ROM drive(s)...

But...it looks more to me like a faulty PSU (suprised it even BOOTS with those voltages)...

But...that's just my opinion...

:)

6. tjamnz

tjamnz

I was basing some of my response when you quoted:

"+12V showed a value of 11.xx almost never touching 12 at all" And stange noises from the hard drive... yikes!:D

7. SergioBarros

Thank you guys for the help!

My problem now is search for a new PSU. My old one is completely unbranded! Does someone ever saw that? First, the fan died more than a year ago. Had to change it. Now the power goes to 9w... but, all right, now is just buy a new one.

8. tjamnz

tjamnz

Interesting.. most ppl and techs scrap the things and dont even bother replacing the fan.

(y)

9. Drew7997

Drew7997

I used the fan out of one once. I'd recommend a new PSU and HD as TJamnz recommended.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543785

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice