1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need Help to Install XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jean Spence, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jean Spence

Jean Spence Thread Starter

I am running on XP Home and have purchased XP Pro (full version) instead of the upgrade version (I know, should have researched it first, but didn't). Would someone please advise me how to go about uninstalling XP Home and then installing XP Pro without really messing up my computer. Would really appreciate any help anyone can give.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What do you mean 'without really messing up my computer'? Do you want to keep everything you have on the computer?

If you have a Full Retail(non-OEM) WIndows XP PRO it should be able to do the upgrade. XP Home does not need to be uninstalled. You need to boot off the Windows XP CD and choose what you want to do, upgrade Windows or format the drive(which will wipe out everything on the drive).

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/indexwinxppro.htm

3. Jean Spence

Hey fellow Canadian, thanks for your reply.
    What I mean is that in all the info I have read it says that unless I have the "upgrade", not the full version, I will probably lose some of what I have on my computer. My data, music & picture files is no problem, I have backups of these (or will have) on a CD, I just wanted to make sure that if I used the actual full version disk that I would not run into problems I couldn't solve (I am somewhat computer literate, but not by any stretch of the imagination an expert). Just trying to cover some of my bases before I rush head first into this since (knock on wood) my computer is working fairly well at the moment. I need to upgrade for work purposes and also to learn and use Access.

4. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Hello Jean. Is your XP Home installation an OEM installation done by the computer maker or do you have a full XP Home CD?

What make and model is your computer?

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

You do not need XP Pro to run Access . . You need Office version that includes Access . .

To see the features that Pro offers that Home does not . . see this

wrs

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Jean Spence,

From your first post it sounds like you have the full version of XP Pro. Since clean installs are generally more reliable than upgrades, and since you have backed up your data, you might want to consider just formatting during the install to XP Pro.

Without knowing more information, before you do, just make sure you have all the drivers for your hardware. For example, if the computer was installed by the vendor, and all drivers were loaded by them, you should at least either make sure you have them on CD or can download them after the install to XP Pro.

7. Jean Spence

:eek: Oh my gosh!!!! I think I am in way over my head. Have to give all of this some thought. Just ran off system resource report (16 pages)
    System summary says:
    Windows Version: Windows 5.1 Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
    Machine Type: AT/AT compatible
    System BIOS Version: ASUS - 42302e31
    System BIOS Date: 08/12/02
    Processor Type: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4
    Processor Vendor: GenuineIntel
    Number of Processors:1
    Physical Memory: 224 MB

Then it has the Disk Drive Info,the IRQ Summary, the DMA Usage Sumary, the Memory Summary, the IO Port Summary and the System Device Info.

Info on the General Tab of System Properties states:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Home Edition
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 2

then my registration info

Intel(R)
    Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80 GHz
    1.79 GHz, 224MB of RAM

Went to windowsreinstall.com and it looks pretty straight forward. However, how the heck do I find out what drivers I need. My printers, scanner,mouse, keyboard, digital camera, no problem, but don't know exactly what else I might need.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Am getting an education I wasn't really prepared for.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Without knowing what you have it is difficult to determine what you might need.

Mostly as long as you can at least get your network working, then you can download the rest from the Internet.

9. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

The XP CD usually has most of the drivers you need on it.

See Clean Installing Windows XP below.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Usually it does. But given the potential consequences, and how easy it is to avoid, I never go blindly into a clean install without knowing first. I suppose it's easy to say when you don't have responsibility for how well the install will go.

For example, none of the motherboard drivers for two of the computers I have are part of the XP install. Neither are most of the printers or video cards I have as well.

It is so easy to at least make sure you know what you have ahead of time to be prepared for what will need later on.

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Jean Spence,

I think the phrase you need to be concerned about is "The XP CD usually has MOST of the drivers you need on it." - Caps on MOST is mine.

MOST just doesn't cut it. I would suspect you would like to make sure that when you reinstall you will have ALL the drivers you need.

12. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

I think that it helps to be running on XP Home in the frst place. So there should be no problem changing to XP Professional.

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Jean Spence

From one of your earlier posts you said that "I need to upgrade for work purposes"

So you do need the Pro version for specific purpose?

How did XP Home first get installed? Yourself. The manufacturer? What other disks were included. For example, some vendors give a true XP CD and another one with any additional necessary drivers. Some only give a restore CD.

14. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

And don't forget Jean, If you had problems before with having too little RAM and low on virtual memory messages, now is the time to add a little more. ;)

15. Jean Spence

1. How do I find out what drivers I have / need?
    2. The programs came pre-loaded, don't know much about hardware.
    4. I have: (a) Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition CD, version 2002. Has a statement from Microsoft re licensing etc. Has a statement saying "For distribution with a new PC only. The Certificate of Authenticity etc.. It is silver holographic; (b) Microsoft Office XP Standard, 2 disk CD set with tutorial disk (silver holographic); (c) cd for digital camera; (d) cd for scanner; Asus motherboard CD; (e) Mitsumi Hot Key Driver Software CD; (f) Driver For Windows 95/98/ME/XP/200, NT & Linux CD; (g) SyncMaster Monitor CD; and my internet set up CD. I have 1 floppy drive; ` 52x24x52x CD drive (don't have installation disk for that); 2 small Altec Lansing speakers.

Don't know what else I need to know in terms of drivers.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!