1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Need Help Troubleshooting Built in Microphone

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by CandyApple, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CandyApple

CandyApple Thread Starter

I'll try to give you as much information needed for anyone to help me troubleshoot my problem.

Problem is that the microphone is not working at all and I don't know if it ever did. My sister in Mi. just got a webcam and so we both trying to view/talk to each other, I could see and hear her, but she could only see me, not hear me. Even though I have had this computer since October of 2007, I have never used the webcam or microphone that came with the laptop.

I spent about an hour searching for help on the Dell Support with no luck, plus I am not able to ask for help I guess because I don't have the extra money to pay for support. I have the owners manual and have looked for info about this in the book, but there is nothing on the microphones except it only shows the location of them on the laptop. I searched on here in the forums for about an hour looking for similar problems but didn't find one to resemble my problem.

I did go into the control panel/ sounds speech and audio device/ and did the TEST HARDWARE. It does NOT seem to pick up my voice at all. In the "sound recording" section it shows my device, (Sigma Tel Audio), under "microphone" select IS checked, volume is turned all the way up.

I don't know if this additional information will help or not but there are a few other things I noticed that don't work. My "Dell Media Direct" button at the top of the keyboard and the "Prnt Scrn" button on the keyboard. I only noticed this yesterday when I tried those two buttons.

I'm new on here so I'm not sure what else anyone would need to know in order to help me troubleshoot this. I do have my computer specs listed when I set up my account, so I didn't know if I needed to list them here or not.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, also, if I have posted this in the wrong forum, could an Admin please move it to the right one? :confused:

Thanks!!!!!

2. maceman

maceman

Hi C.A.
    First thing you should do is to check out your mixer. Maybe your microphone is muted. You can find it from control panel or right click the loudspeaker icon on right bottom corner.
    You should also check out your software settings. I think we can help you more if you let us know your OS and what software you're using.

3. CandyApple

Ok, you were right, it was muted. So I did another "Test hardware" and I actually hear something?? Sure as heck don't sound like me, sounds like the Chipmunks talking and are drunk with lots of slurring and static???????? I had my computer turned off, when I turned it back on, I noticed a pop up on the bottom right of the screen that said "Intellisonic Enabled" ??? Dont' recall seeing that before, or even know what it means.

Sorry for asking a dumb question, but what do you mean by "check my software settings"? My operating system is windows xp home edition SP 3. I'm using the webcam and mic that was installed with the laptop, I dont know how to find what information you mean by software and am quite embarrassed to be mentioning this in public!!

4. CandyApple

Googled software, so I believe what you are looking for is Dell Wecam Manager and Sigma Tel Audio????

5. maceman

maceman

6. CandyApple

What kind of effect? What do you mean? I was hoping it was maybe a simple fix, this really sucks because I don't have any extra money to buy anything!

I appreciate that link that you googled and read it, I only saw one person with my specific laptop, the Dell Vostro 1500, and that person was not having the issue.

Any other suggestions that you might have?

Thanks in advance!!!

7. maceman

maceman

After seeing the problems with Dell's mic, I'm not sure if there is an easy way to fix it :(
    One thing you could try is to go "Control Panel" and "Sounds And Audio Devices". There go to "Hardware" and check out the drivers.
    Effects what I was talking about can usually been found from down right. But I don't think it's your problem.
    And don't worry microphones are not very expensive :D Less than 10$

8. CandyApple

Ok, I can do that, but I dont know anything about the drivers. I will need some guidance on what I am looking for and what I need to do.

Also, dont know if this matters or not, but about 3 weeks ago, I had to re-install my operating system, lost everything! Once I did it with the cd that came with the computer, i loaded the drivers cd, but really had no idea what drivers i was supposed to install from that cd, some of them had check marks, so i installed them, then i loaded the utilities cd, totally lost there, but installed some of them. The manual that came with the computer did not tell me which ones to install, so I took a guess.

Do you think that maybe I did not install the right drivers/utilities?? If so, how would I know what I was supposed to install???

I was having problems with internet logging me off and on, after numerous calls to verizon, i had an IT guy look at my laptop, (only because he was at my place of employment working on my desktop computer there) and I think he updated all my drivers. But I did not mention the microphone problems to him because I was more concerned about getting the internet and it slipped my mind. He worked on my laptop for about 3 hrs and finally fixed the internet problem.

$10 is not a lot of money, if I know that there is really no way to make my microphone work.

Thanks again in advance!!!!

9. maceman

maceman

You can see the drivers from "Control Panel" and "Sounds And Audio Devices" go to "Hardware" and "Properties" There you can update the drivers autamatically. I really hope it helps :D

10. CandyApple

How do I update the drivers automatically from there? I dont see an "update drivers" link anywhere? Sorry for being such a dumb azz!!!

11. CandyApple

Guess I am just too stupid to give advice too.
    Sorry for bothering anyone here, I will close this thread and mark "resolved" even though it is not. But don't feel like putting my self out there and feeling like a dumb azz any longer. If anyone has any suggestions to resolve my problem, please send them to me via email.

Thanks!!!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice