1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: need help troubleshooting crashes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by veespike, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. veespike

veespike Thread Starter

I have been having problems with a home build, and I am trying to figure out just exactly where the error is.
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3582 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS, 640 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 715394 MB, Free - 334874 MB; D: Total - 715402 MB, Free - 18448 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., EP35C-DS3R, x.x,
    Antivirus: ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4.2, Updated and Enabled

For about a month, problems with BSODs (early on) and random app crashes. The BSODS were related to a driver problem (Realtek Ethernet controller) that I fixed with an updated driver. The random app crashes continue.

The crashes appear usually under load, gaming most often. No 3D app runs for more than a few minutes, generally they CTD. Most other apps appear to be relatively stable but under heavy multimedia loads, both FireFox and Chrome will die randomly, or the plugin will quit. Very few of these report an error to Event Viewer. If they do, it is so generic as to be useless information.

The RAM is new (a couple of months,) and both Memtest and Windows Memory test report no problems. I tested it with IBT, and it passed. But when I tried using CPUStabTest. It fails fairly quickly with "Error message recvd from Module TCache."

I am assuming that it means either the CPU or the Mobo has gone bad. My question is how do I determine which, so I know what to replace?

2. veespike

veespike Thread Starter

Anyone?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Start with basic troubleshooting;
    1 Download HWMonitor and let it run for a while. Post your temps and voltages here. Since this is a gigabyte board, you can also use easytune to get this info.
    2 Have you run memtest to test the memory? If not, do so.
    3 Post your exact parts ie what ram do you have, what brand and wattage of pw supply, etc, etc. Post links to your parts if able.

http://www.memtest.org/

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

In addition, what bios are you running on that board?

5. veespike

veespike Thread Starter

I did run Memtest already, as well as MS Memory testing app. Both came back clean, but I will run Memtest again.

The RAM is newer, purchased in June. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231274

The PSU is Original to the machine, bought in March 2008. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139001

Video is also original to the machine. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130327

Not sure about the BIOS Version. I believe it is ver F3, but I will verify once I get home.

I will advise on what HWMonitor comes up with.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I checked the gigabyte site and you must have the latest bios to support the cpu you installed. Make sure it is the latest one offered on their site. Could be one reason you are having stability issues.

7. veespike

veespike Thread Starter

Bios was F3, so I flashed it to F4. It booted fine and no obvious problems.

I installed easytune6 again, and noticed right away that there might be an issue with the clock multiplier. I am not a tweaker so this is not changed from the stock setting for the CPU in the BIOS. Easytune kept showing the clock multiplier switching from 6 (2 Ghz) to 9 (3 Ghz.) It is set in BIOS at 9, and all of the voltages are either on Auto or Stock settings.

I ran Prime95 (crashed on core0,) CPUStab (errored after 5 minutes the first time, 1 min the second) and IBT (completed, no reported errors.)

I ran Memtest after the BIOS update again for 4 hours. No errors.

HalfLife crashed inside 10 minutes. FF crashed twice inside 1/2 hour.

Attached Files:

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, there is a reason for the cpu going up and down. EIST [enhanced intel speed step] it lowers cpu speed and vcore on a dynamic basis ie as needed. This keeps the cpu cooler. This is an option in the bios and you can turn it off if you want.

I do not see anything abnormal in your temp and voltage readings. At this point, I would suspect either a failing mb or perhaps a problem with core1 of your cpu. Unfortunately the only real way to test this is to swap in known good components.

I PMd another mod to take a look also. He might see something I missed.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'd be curious about the PSU. Though the graphics card is also of interest, since the problem seems to arise when there is a graphics load (and that includes Firefox when using plugin-container.exe to render Flash media). I don't know what to make of those error messages. I suppose it's possible that it was a bad CPU, or the error may be an artifact of something else.

How large a PSU?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

He is running a corsair 520W unit with approx 50amp on the 12V rail.

11. veespike

veespike Thread Starter

A spare mobo is not an option, but I think I can come up with a spare CPU. I will try that.

12. veespike

veespike Thread Starter

Followup FYI - The CPU was bad - I swapped in a Q8400 and it has no issues so far, except heat. Thanks for your help.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/965547

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice